Walking and skimboarding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DEFENDERS WEB SITE DIRECT QUOTE

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on April 11th 2008, 10:35 pm

THIS IS A LITTLE OF WHAT THE DEFENDERS ARE SAYING OFF THEIR WEBSITE ABOUT DRIVING ON HATTERAS. THESE ARE SOME QUOTES FROM THE SITE. THEY HAVE LISTED FIVE. ANYONE CAN CHECK IT OUT
"1. IT'S OUT OF CONTROL...... IN THE HIGH SEASON, UPWARDS OF TWO THOUSAND VEHICLES PER DAY DRIVE ALONG THE SPECTACULAR SHORELINE OF CAPE HATTERAS NATIONAL SEASHORE (NOTE:IN ALL TERMINOLOGY RECREATIONAL IS NOT USED) [i]IN THEIR PATH LIE THE NESTS OF SHOREBIRDS LIKE THE THREATENED PIPING PLOVER AND THE BLACK SKIMMER, AS WELL AS THREE SPECIES OF THREATENED OR ENDANGERED SEA TURTLES.............AS THE SEASHORE'S STEWARD THE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE HAS THE RESPONSIBLITY TO REGULATE BEACH DRIVING TO ENSURE THAT THIS UNIQUE WILDLIFE IS PROTECTED FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. THE PARK SERVICE HAS FAILED TO DO IT'S JOB.................."WELL, I DO KNOW THERE ARE SPEED LIMIT SIGNS, SIGNS STATING WHAT CAN AND CANNOT BE DONE ON THE BEACH, AREAS ROPED OFF WHEN TURTLES ARE IN, AND THE PLOVERS NESTING, SIGNS STATING THAT DUNES ARE NOT TO BE DISTURBED. ISN'T THIS REGULATING THE PEOPLE? I'M JUST SAYING............."2.IT'S ILLEGAL..........THE FIRST SENTENCE DECLARES WHAT THE FED JUDGE SAID IN JULY OF 2007 THAT THE PARK SERVICE WAS BREAKING THE LAW BY ALLOWING BEACH DRIVING TO CONTINUE WITHOUT A PLAN IN PLACE TO "PROMOTE SAFETY FOR ALL USERS, MINIMIZE DAMAGE TO PUBLIC LANDS AND WILDLIFE, AND TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION ENDANGERED OR THREATENED SPECIES" DESPITE THAT RULING, THE PARK SERVICE HAS ALLOWED THE BEACH DRIVING TO CONTINUE WITHOUT PUTTING ADEQUATE SAFEGUARDS IN PLACE"............................AGAIN THE SIGNS AND POSTINGS WHENEVER YOU GO TO THE BEACH."3. IT'S DRIVING WILDLIFE AWAY..........THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THE SEAHSORE'S WILDLIFE IS AT RISK. OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS, BIRDS THAT WERE ONCE COMMON AT THE SEASHORE HAVE DECLINED BY AN AVERAGE OF 86%." (WENT TO THE WORLD CONSERVATION UNION (IUCN) WEBSITE TODAY TO SEE WHAT THEY HAD TO SAY FOR THE AREA, ANYONE CAN READ IT AND THEIR APPRAISAL
OF THE SITUATION WITH PIPING PLOVER. THEIR ESTIMATES ARE STATING THAT THE PLOVER IS "NEAR THREATENED" AND HAVE INCREASED IN NUMBERS. THOUGH THE NUMBER IS NOT WHOPPING IN INCREASE SINCE 1991 THEY ARE RISING. THIS DATA INCLUDES ALL STATES WHERE THEY ARE COUNTED AND OBSERVED. INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH ON THIS PARTICULAR WEB SITE, THEY HAD A PAGE WITH THEIR PARTNERS LISTED, DID NOT SEE ONE FOR THE AUDUBON SOCIETY, NOR THE DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE UNLESS I MISSED IT TOTALLY IN LOOKING AT STATS."4 BEACH DRIVING [i]WILL[b]CONTINUE-WITH APPROPRIATE MANAGEMENT. MOST OF THE SEASHORE WILL REMAIN OPEN TO VEHICLES. IN A LAST-DITCH EFFORT TO PREVENT THE CONTINUING LOSS OF THE SEASHORE'S WILDLIFE HERITAGE, DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE AND OTHER CONSERVATION GROUPS ARE ASKING A FEDERAL JUDGE TO LIMIT BEACH DRIVING ON A SMALL PORTION-ABOUT 12% -OF THE SEASHORE UNTIL A FINAL MANAGEMENT PLAN IS IMPLEMENTED. THE REQUEST INCLUDES THE ARES IDENTIFIED BY THE PARK SERVICES'S OWN SCIENTISTS AS BEING MOST CRITICAL TO NESTING SHOREBIRDS. IMPORTANTLY, THESE AREAS WOULD STILL BE OPEN TO PEDESTRIAN ACCESS, ALLOWING PARK VISITORS TO CONTINUE USING THESE AREAS."NOW IF YOU GO TO THE SOUTHERN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW CENTER WEB SITE TO PRESS RELEASES, UNDER HEADING FED JUDGE TO RESTRICT DRIVING TO SAVE 2008 BREEDING SEASON ON CAPE HATTERAS NATIONAL SEASHORE THAT MAP THERE SHOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.NUMBER FIVE IS THE CLINCHER FOLKS IN MY MIND CAUSE I JUST WONDER WHERE THEY GET THIS STUFF. "5.MOST VISITORS TO CAPE HATTERAS DON'T DRIVE ON THE BEACH. ACCORDING TO AN ASSESSMENT BY THE PARK SERVICE, THE BEACH DRIVING RESTRICTIONS NEEDED TO SAFEGUARD WILDLIFE WOULD IMPACT LESS THAN 5% OF THE SEASSHORE'S VISITORS. ECONOMIC IMPACTS FROM THE RESTRICTIONS ARE PROJECTED TO BE LESS THAN ONE-TENTH OF 1% OF THE NEARLY $2 BILLION THAT TOURISM BRINGS TO THE REGION (0.05 TO 0.08 PERCENT ACCORDING TO THE US FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICES'S 2007 ECONOMIC ANALYSIS) RESTRICTIONS WON'T KEEP PIPLE FROM VISITING AND ENJOYING THE BEACHES OF CAPE HATTERAS. THIS ONE IS THE KICKER, AND I FOR ONE AM APPALLED BY THE BLATANT STATS THAT ARE PUT FORWARD AS GOSPEL. THE ACTUAL LAW SUIT IS AN INTERESTING READ. POSTED JUST SO SOME THAT DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO CHECK IT OUT CAN READ IT HERE. Cool

HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

no access - no recreation

Post  FriscoGirl on April 11th 2008, 9:09 pm

[quote="shoobird"]When the area is closed for nesting, you can't even walk out there. So much for a recreation area!![/quote}]]

on my reading of everything - if the injunctionis granted as filed, you will not be able to access anything.

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

offshore limit

Post  FriscoGirl on April 11th 2008, 9:07 pm

3 miles is safe. Some of the maps shown at the Buxton meeting (was an attendee with kids) showed the area around Buxton as including areas into the ocean. It will depend upon the judge.

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Walking and skimboarding

Post  FleetSox on April 10th 2008, 11:30 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right. You just need to go three miles offshore (International waters) so you won't be tresspeassing. They are closing off everything to everyone. If you have tried to go out to the tip lately, you will find it hard because there is only a narrow path going through; they have already roped off much of that area. Believe me, I was just there two weeks ago. I am shocked to see how stupid some people are about these issues because they will just close off all access. Go break your skimboard.

FleetSox

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

not even to pick up shells

Post  shoobird on April 10th 2008, 11:28 pm

When the area is closed for nesting, you can't even walk out there. So much for a recreation area!!

shoobird

Back to top Go down

Walking and skimboarding

Post  SKIMNC on April 10th 2008, 10:56 pm

will you still be able to walk and skimboard on the point and that area

[strike]EASTERN SURFING CHAMPIONSHIP

SKIMNC

Back to top Go down

Re: Walking and skimboarding

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down