My Personnel Experience with the Audubon Society

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Counter the Audubon campaign to stop ORV

Post  FriscoGirl on April 12th 2008, 9:42 pm

In their highly inaccurate and misleading article "Beach Bums" (http://audubonmagazine.org/features0701/incite.html) the Audubon Society is attempting to organize their members to place public protests to ORV use in the Outer Banks. We MUST counter this. EACH of us needs to write in to express our concerns and opinions (otherwise it is a one sided debate). We also need to have family, friends and others we know write in.

See the information that they posted:

What You Can Do
To help birds threatened by ORVs, log on to www.ncaudubon.org, click on the “Birds & Science” menu bar, and click on “Protect Beach Nesting Birds.” Show your concern by writing to Mike Murray, Superintendent, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, 1401 National Park Drive, Manteo, NC 27954, and Mary A. Bomar, Director, National Park Service; 1849 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20240. Send Audubon copies for our website by mail (700 Broadway, New York, NY 10003) or e-mail (editor@audubon.org).

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RESPONSE

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on April 12th 2008, 3:50 pm

SALTY THANKS FOR YOUR PERSONAL INSIGHT INTO THE FORCES THAT BE. REGULAR FOLK DO MORE FOR THEIR NATIVE AREAS, THAN THE SUPPOSED "DEFENDERS". A LOT OF FOLKS THAT VISIT THE AREA ARE DOWN HOME AND RESPECTFUL. IT GETS THE ANGER UP A BIT TO READ SOME OF THE ARTICLES POSTED ON THESE WEBSITES STATING OUTRIGHT LIES ABOUT THE PEOPLE AND INTENTIONS. JUST SAD. VERY VERY SAD. Crying or Very sad
HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  saltydog on April 12th 2008, 2:34 pm

During most of the 1970’s I had the honor and privilege of serving a President of the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association (NJBBA). At one point the Director of the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forests gave me a copy of a letter he received from an officer of the New Jersey Chapter of the Audubon Society insisting that beach vehicles be eliminated from the very popular surf fishing location Island Beach State Park.
After reading the letter it became apparent to me that the author did not possess much knowledge about Island Beach. I contacted the author and suggested we have a meeting to discuss his concerns.

We had a very cordial meeting in his home. After hearing his supposed issues I asked him how much time he had spent on Island Beach. He responded that he had visited the Park only on two occasions for a few hours each time. As I was curious, I asked him how he could write a letter requesting an action that would so adversely affect many hundreds of people when he had only a few hours experience at Island Beach. It was obvious he became somewhat embarrassed by this question.

I went on to explain all the efforts members of NJBBA contribute to make Island Beach a better place for all visitors. I explained our annual projects of erecting snow fence and planting dune grass to encourage dune formation and stabilization, beach cleanups, and hosting handicapped groups for a day of fishing. My explanations interested him, and he inquired how Audubon members could get involved in these projects. More importantly he agreed to write another letter to Parks withdrawing his initial letter.

Audubon had their fall migratory bird count scheduled at Island Beach and we agreed a group of NJBBA folks would meet them at the inlet area and have coffee and donuts available for the Audubon members after they did the two mile walk down the beach during their bird count. We thought this would be an excellent way for our two groups to get to know each other. The day of the event was very cold and windy so the hot coffee was appreciated. Several of us with camper-type vehicles encouraged some of the cold Audubon members to take refuge in our heated campers. Later, not wanting to leave the comfort of the campers we drove them back the two miles to their cars parked at the end of the road. It is fair to say everyone appeared to have a good time.

Shortly thereafter, to show good will, I joined the Audubon Society, but I am sad to say the good will was not shared. The next event was a NJBBA snow fence project in the spring of the year. I invited Audubon members to join us and they announced it in their newsletter. Only two individuals from Audubon joined our efforts. For a couple of years after that Audubon would be invited to our projects and they would advertise it in their newsletter, making it read like it was an Audubon project, but we never saw another Audubon member after the two that showed at the first project. After only a couple of years of learning of the ever increasing radicalism of the National Audubon Society I allowed my membership to expire.

Since these early exposures to Audubon, NJBBA has continued with their good work for New Jersey beaches. NJBBA is very proud of long time Board Member Paul Harris who received the 2006 New Jersey Division of Parks and Forests Volunteer of the Year Award. Like NJBBA, NCBBA with their “Operation Beach Respect”, and most other motorized recreation organizations, members put sweat equity into maintaining the resources we love and enjoy. When is the last time you saw an Audubon et al type sweating while working for the resource? The next time will probably be the first time.

During my lifelong passion for maintaining recreational access to our public lands nationally the Audubon Society has most often been on the other side of all access issues.
This is why I am completely dumbfounded by Toyota’s $20 million donation to Audubon. I haven’t witnessed a better example of not doing your homework since I was in school.

Tight lines,

Bob Lick

A very proud member of:
NCBBA, Life Member #2503
NJBBA, Life Member #3
UMS, Life Member
LIBBA
MSA
RFA
UFWDA
BRC

saltydog