beach closings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: beach closings

Post  mac123 on April 6th 2008, 8:58 pm

I don't think the Audobon Society & Defenders of Wilderness are "for the rich guys" so that they can line the shore with condos. They are for protecting the endangered species on our planet.

mac123

Back to top Go down

beachclosing

Post  forddadd on April 6th 2008, 8:49 pm

everyone must forget how mother nature has had her way with the island beaches the last 10 years. she does alot more damage than my f-150 has ever done-guess you need to charge her for damages. the thing to do is have more park ranger presense to penalize the few who break the rules than bust the chops of us who respect the parks beauty-naw thats too easy, lets just shut it down so the developers can build more 4 story condos for the rich guys.

forddadd

Back to top Go down

Permits

Post  DagObx on March 29th 2008, 7:40 pm

The notion of permits or other user fees is something that raises the hackles of most ORV users.

Having said that, please note that permits/fees falls under the purview of the NPS. It is their land, they make policy concerning this. Also note that the Negotiated Rulemaking committee (reg-neg) actually has the power to recomment/not recommend the use of permits or other user fees. It is this committee (currently sitting & quite active) that will determine what will happen with this, not the local people.

The local people have no control over what NPS does on these beaches. Only through their participation in the reg-neg process will they have a voice in whether or not permits will be used. It is misplaced blame to tell the local folks what they should or should not do for their beaches. Only the NPS can do anything about it and then only through the public process - they can't just issue an edict.

Educate yourself about the Negotiated Rulemaking process which is ongoing out here. The meetings are open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for May 8 & 9 at the Comfort Inn Oceanfront in Nags Head, NC. Come see for yourself what is going on.

Regardless of what happens on April 4th, this process will continue until a ORV management plan is formulated.

DagObx

Back to top Go down

Permits

Post  DagObx on March 29th 2008, 7:39 pm

The notion of permits or other user fees is something that raises the hackles of most ORV users.

Having said that, please note that permits/fees falls under the purview of the NPS. It is their land, they make policy concerning this. Also note that the Negotiated Rulemaking committee (reg-neg) actually has the power to recomment/not recommend the use of permits or other user fees. It is this committee (currently sitting & quite active) that will determine what will happen with this, not the local people.

The local people have no control over what NPS does on these beaches. Only through their participation in the reg-neg process will they have a voice in whether or not permits will be used. It is misplaced blame to tell the local folks what they should or should not do for their beaches. Only the NPS can do anything about it and then only through the public process - they can't just issue an edict.

Educate yourself about the Negotiated Rulemaking process which is ongoing out here. The meetings are open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for May 8 & 9 at the Comfort Inn Oceanfront in Nags Head, NC. Come see for yourself what is going on.

Regardless of what happens on April 4th, this process will continue until a ORV management plan is formulated.

DagObx

Back to top Go down

closing beaches

Post  beachbum on March 26th 2008, 4:58 am

If they close these beaches the obx area will more than likely loose a great deal of money from tourist.The beaches of oregon inlet are a main hangout for people during the summer.If you take this away i think your going to loose a lot of people coming to the obx,i know i wont be coming anymore.

beachbum

Back to top Go down

permit perhaps?

Post  no ruts on March 25th 2008, 1:38 pm

Why not have a paid permit like Nags Head does in the winter time?

I feel that the original rules to allow beach driving (back in the Nixon days) were meant for the working fisherman. In the Nixon era there were VERY few 4x4 vehicles so the damages done by beach driving were minimal.

Now, EVERYONE has a 4x4 and it is truely messing up our beaches, not only for wildlife but asthetically as well. So many tourists, youngsters, and non-beach driving fools feel they have some sort of right to go cruising (mostly at high speeds) along our coastline. I stopped going to Oregon Inlet a long time ago because over half the people there only went there b/c they could park their SUVs in the sand with their coolers and get drunk, not fish and oh yeah have fun doing donuts. These folks DO NOT respect the beaches.

But I do know many folks who do know how to drive on the beach, respect our beaches and also enjoy the recreational activities that our beaches offer whether fishing, surfing or just sun-bathing. So why not a compromise? Develop a paid permit program, similar to what Nags Head offers for winter driving. If you are a fisherman or tourist that would like the PRIVLAGE to drive on our beaches, then you shouldn't have a problem with a monetary donation towards their protection and stabilization once you and your vehicle ruts are gone. The NH permit is inexpensive (maybe $24-30 bucks). Allow the National Parks system to collect this permit fee to go towards; 4x4 driving education, beach restoration (not nourishment which I also oppose), dune plantings, education on wildlife, wildlife protection, etc. Of course make sure these funds are used correctly and for their purpose, but have a permit fee and perhaps even seasonal driving so the beaches have a chance to normalize every once and awhile....

This small permit fee would still allow folks to drive on the beach, but would deter those who just want to "joy" ride and not respect our beaches.

You can look at the difference from Kill Devil Hills beaches to NH beaches in the winter time when KDH allows beach driving with no permit and NH requires a permit - the NH beaches are in WAY better shape with less ruts.

Anyway - I'm not completely against beach driving, but I think the original idea behind the rules is outdated and with so many people driving on the beach these days.......it acutally TAKES AWAY from the beauty that is the OBX and not adds to it.

Plus, there is NOTHING wrong with carrying your beach supplies from your car in a parking lot to the beach. I am originally from LBI and ALWAYS carried our shit to the beach. I live in KDH (for 12 years now) and I ALWAYS carry my stuff to the beach.

my two cents

no ruts

Back to top Go down

beach closing

Post  Donald R on March 25th 2008, 12:12 pm

Don't take away our access to the beach. What better way to go to relax in peace and quite. I love to drive on the beach and just get away from the busy highways and cities. The government seems to want to away everything good...

Donald R

Back to top Go down

beach closings

Post  Surferjo on March 21st 2008, 4:46 pm

C'mon don't screw up your States main attraction! The miles of open beaches are a national treasure. You can flag mark any nesting birds or wildlife as most people are there to enjoy the wildlife not disturb it. Educate the public sounds like a better idea and have them all working towards one goal. Although surfing drew me to Hatteras there are a million other breaks to surf. I'll just travel south and locate the old Hatteras if you take away any beach rights. Gee do any of those damned multi million dollar homes located directly on the beach impact the enviornment? I remember when they were just beaches, can you? Next you'll be having designated surfing areas like all the other screwed up surf breaks.

Surferjo

Back to top Go down

Re: beach closings

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top