a conversation over email with Caroline Kennedy of Defenders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: a conversation over email with Caroline Kennedy of Defenders

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on May 29th 2008, 11:19 am

what most people do not realize is that the recreational part of the area was supposed to be designated and accomodated for access. what ya have here is a failure from several government agencies that should have done their jobs. the enironmentalists found the loop hole they always look for and cry foul when found, and spin their retoric accordingly. the general populace does not know, or aware, or too busy to realize what is actually being taken away, and that is rights. human rights. the right of the human to access our land. i think people that are living in the area would agree that they have something in common with the american indian. Cool

HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SAVE the HUMANS!!!

Post  orv4me on May 29th 2008, 12:08 am

Hey Jo Murra, there is no contact with these birds. The rangers did a great job in years past to mark off areas where and when there were birds nesting!! And yes even turtle nesting areas were marked off!! Just face it, eco nuts want total control of peoples lives, they can't stand it when people have the freedom of choice. They preach tolerance but are intolerant when dealing with the issue of Orv access. People have been enjoying the Outer Banks for years and have not bothered anyone. People who surf fish, bird watch, sun bathe knew areas marked off were restricted vehicle access. For the past twelve years I have enjoyed the Outer Banks with family and friends, we respect the beach and love it with all of our hearts. There are plenty of beaches in this world, but I have not found a more beautiful area. The people who work and live on the island depend on my hard earned money to provide for their families and stay open during times like these. I am glad to see that my money is going to regular folks like me who are working for that American dream and not some big corporation. My wife and I will be down soon and our first stop will be Frank and Fran's, to say thanks and spend a little cash for a great cause...The regular working man and woman!!!

orv4me

Back to top Go down

Lots of restrictions

Post  Jo-Murra on May 28th 2008, 6:25 pm

There are plenty of places where humans are restricted from physical contact with wildlife--why should this place be any different? The times they are a-changin'...

Jo-Murra

Back to top Go down

Bird viewing access

Post  steve1 on May 18th 2008, 10:32 am

There are plenty of foot paths to the beach. There are well over 30 on Pea Island. If there is a nest near a trail It may be blocked off but walk north or south on the deer path (area between the two man-madedune lines) to the next path. There is always access no matter what is going on. For night use you need a permit which have been readily available to us.

steve1

Back to top Go down

a conversation over email with Caroline Kennedy of Defenders

Post  va to obx on May 14th 2008, 4:38 pm

Read from bottom up

Actually I don't advise that as I believe the dunes are protected regardless of the presence or absence of plovers. Your best bet is to talk with the National Park Service -- they have monitors watching the chicks and can probably advise on the best viewing areas. Good luck.

Caroline Kennedy
Senior Director of Field Conservation

1130 17th Street N.W. Washington D.C. 20036-4604
Tel: 202-682-9400 ext 107 | Fax: 202-463-3074
ckennedy@defenders.org | www.defenders.org

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:36 PM
To: CKennedy
Subject: RE: help needed
I guess I will wait for that, but in response to seeing the birds with a scope or binoculars I guess we will all have to climb the dunes to have a line of sight.

Thanks again,
Matt

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:38 AM
To: Matthew
Subject: RE: help needed

Hi Matt -- I am not involved in this particular bird issue but I have forwarded your email to Jason Rylander for response. I don't think a report is needed to answer this question so he should be able to get back to you fairly soon. Based on closures I have seen they do not prevent viewing with binoculars or a scope. They're intended to prevent the nests from being run over by vehicles or stepped on.

Best,
Caroline

Caroline Kennedy
Senior Director of Field Conservation

1130 17th Street N.W. Washington D.C. 20036-4604
Tel: 202-682-9400 ext 107 | Fax: 202-463-3074
ckennedy@defenders.org | www.defenders.org

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:04 AM
To: CKennedy
Subject: help needed

What do I tell my son (3- ) why he cannot access the beach to see the birds you are protecting? Though I expect no answer will do I would like for your organization to write a report answering this question so I may present him an answer from someone who should know. Note I am not making accusations, but only trying to answer a question of a boy who is unsure why we would restrict access to nature.

Thanks,
Matt

These types of responses to my questions make it very obvious why we are where we are. Her answers prove a point others have made about these people have never been here. The proof is that there is no way we could observe these birds from highway 12.

P.S. I am guessing when she says to use a scope it should not be attached to a gun...

va to obx

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a conversation over email with Caroline Kennedy of Defenders

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top