keep your rental house lights on all night!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Overbuilding

Post  MadMarv on July 18th 2008, 10:26 pm

Stevenm - I fully agree with you on the overbuilding. The reason we are losing money on our rental house is that the rents haven't kept up with inflation because of the overbuilding. When we bought our house, Hatteras Island had 100% occupancy all summer, and the spring and fall were pretty good as well. Now people are cutting prices to fill their houses and this price war (started I think by Outer Beaches Realty to try to get a leg up on everyone else) has kept rental fees low. Meanwhile, the maintenance costs, and everything else continue to go up. Used to cost $15 to have someone go over to check something. Now it's a minimum of $30 even if it is just a matter of screwing in a light bulb. The rental companies that used to handle about 200 houses each are now over 500 or 600 houses. And demand while rising, hasn't kept up. And now with fuel costs and the beach closings, who knows what's going to happen.

So I would love it if the locals would put the brakes on the over development. Otherwise, it's just going to be more and more condos and houses in the wetlands.

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

Over developing

Post  Concerne on July 18th 2008, 2:56 pm

Instead of restricting Beach access the Environmentalists should have been fighting the houses beeing built on wet lands. Can anyone say Kinakeet shores? All these many rental homes have brought legions of people to overcrowd the beach.

Shoulda coulda wouldah

Concerne

Back to top Go down

rentals

Post  stevenm on July 18th 2008, 8:57 am

Rental houses are the crux of the problem. So much destruction and waste for what. As a business owner on Hatteras Island, I'm continuously saddened by what goes on here because we have no zoning, no restrictions. Restriction is the last thing I want here but because of the free-for-all mentality our island has become oversaturated. We should have forseen and acted upon the real issues. The leaders of our Civic League are realators. That is messed up.
Business was better fifteen plus years ago. Life was better. All the construction has stifiled our communities. The last thing we need is a new bridge and roadway.
How could you lose 15K. You're counting missed rentals maybe. Thats bull. You should not depend on projections for earnings and then say you lost out because projections were not met. If there were not so many rental houses you wouldnt be whining. The locally owned rental companies are crooked.

stevenm

Back to top Go down

50 cents

Post  MadMarv on July 17th 2008, 2:39 pm

Nope, not from an old lady. Bought just one 20 year old house in one of the KS phases from the previous owner, at a fair market price. So it was the developer who got the land from the little old lady (who would have been wise to hold back some of her land for the future). Meanwhile, the locally owned rental company, plumbers, HVAC technicians, hot tub and pool cleaners, electricians, furniture stores, etc have all been earning money from the house, plus the money from the renters that goes to restaurants, bait shops, T-shirt shops, etc, many of which are also locally owned. And, BTW, we lost over 15K on it last year (most of which went to the above list of locals). But then again, the railroads are all losing money now too.

But my offer still stands - if you are worried about 12/21/12, I'll be happy to buy you out before and sell it all back at a profit on 12/22 when the world is still here.

Very Happy

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

50 cent

Post  LT on July 16th 2008, 3:26 pm

I thought you sounded a little like one of those railroad purchasing agents from the old west. So how many houses do you own and rent down here from your home in Va. And did you get the land they sit on for a song from some grey hiared old lady ? jocolor

LT

Back to top Go down

12/21/12

Post  MadMarv on July 10th 2008, 12:32 pm

I will be happy to buy all of your real estate and automobiles at 50 cents on the dollar on 12/1/12 so you may enjoy a great big fling for the last three weeks. Just don't ask to buy them back for that price on 12/23! Very Happy

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

RE;

Post  LT on July 7th 2008, 10:50 pm

Sorry didn't know you asked about the," spongy black stuff ",dont see much of that on the oceanfront beaches , mainly up in Corolla, Swans Beach & Carova where there's still a presence of stumps on the beach, but common sense does tell us peat does come from an organic source. As far as them purple and black minerals yep them be oil minerals. Black (& purple) gold, Texas tea, Crude.
Yeah we conceed the Earth does revolve around the Sun. But as for Venus the reason the surface temp is around 870 f (465 c) is the sulfuric clouds (which we dont have) trap the Suns energy also being 67 million miles away from the Sun instead 93 million like us has something to do with the heat.
Politically, just because, one man an island doesn't make anymore than you can predict the next earthquake's location. You may think man can and has controll on this planet, as for me I'm more worried about 12/21/12 11:11 am GMT.(but thats for my dinner table)

LT

Back to top Go down

Oil rigs vs wind farms

Post  MadMarv on July 3rd 2008, 12:26 pm

My point is that whether the electric companies like it or not, we need to change to renewable energy. We can do it now, or in 50 years from now when the oil is all pumped out (not my problem then), but the sooner we do it the better, as we can't keep heating up the earth forever. The surface of Venus is over 400 degrees because of the greenhouse gases. As for the beach at I-95 - remember, there were times in earth's history when about 1/3 of America was submerged in the sea due to the poles having melted. So it can happen - maybe not in the next 10 or 20 years, but maybe in 100 or 200 if we don't stop warming things up. The fact that you don't like it politically doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. The Catholic Church didn't like Galileo's "political view" that the earth moved around the sun, but in the end it does (does the conservative right concede that point yet?). We also might want to hold back some fossil fuels so we have the potential for generating greenhouse gases to mitigate the next ice age when it comes, but that is really far out thinking that I'll save for the dinner table.

The electric companies will still make a profit, they just can charge us less if the energy is "free", as they won't have to pay for the fuel. However, there are large capital costs to put up the turbines (and lots of jobs will be created), and there are costs to maintain them (I just watch an episode of "Dirtiest Jobs" that showed what is involved in servicing the turbines in a wind farm). Cape Cod is in the final approval process for building a wind farm called "Cape Wind", so it must be financially viable. They even got Audubon to sign off on it, as I guess the turbines are too high and too slow to kill any birds.

I loved the idea about turbines on the new bridge. At the least they can generate the power for the lights.

Sounds like two different ideas out there about the black sands. Peat or shipwrecks?

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

Dark Nights

Post  stevenM on July 3rd 2008, 8:27 am

Please don't leave the lights on.Especially outside lights. If something must be banned it should be outdoor flood-spot lights on the rentals.
They are abused like the rest of our island.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

Black Stuff

Post  stevenM on July 3rd 2008, 8:24 am

The chunks of spongy 'black stuff' is peat from the forest floor. It did not come from shipwrecks,common sense tells us that. Hatteras Island used to be thickly forested. The black and purple beaches on the north end come from minerals. They are lighter and smaller in grain size than regular sand so they cover the top layers of beach.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

oil drilling

Post  LT on July 2nd 2008, 7:50 pm

To Mad Marv,obviously you've not seen my post concerning,"all that black stuff on the sand and where it comes from". This area is called the "Grave Yard of the Atalantic", for a specific reason. No its not squid ink and no tankers are not leaking. If you happen to research our coast you'll see that a plethera of ships rest on the bottom . Not all of them were of the sailing nature, some, but not all. The captain's had the misfortune of not being able to determine when their ships would sink. So they could not predict when they should have their fuel tanks empty. Not only was the ship lost but it's manifest (load), which unfortunetly includes fuel. Since lives are more important than objects rescuers concentrated on the living. Also salvaging efforts in the ocean off these shores has proven to be just a little tricky and risky. An informative show to watch would be History Channels "Raising of the Monitor". The D.O.D. had a ruff time and they are the pros. The black stuff on the beach is fuel oil from ship wrecks, hence the donation N.C. Tarheels. So it's naturally coming from a man made source.
As for seeing oil riggs from the shore, you all are making me week, they would be 50 mi. away. Understand 50 mi. Go stand on the shore on a sunny day look east not a tree in sight with some binocs look and see if you can spot the ships in the shipping lanes, charters in the gulf stream or the towers out there, thats only 20-30 mi. out. Now add 25 mi. and try it.
Other than drunk oiltanker captians, oil spills are pretty much a thing of the past with our technology. Remember how the Alaskan pipeline was going to destroy that eco system? Oh the carrnaige!. Remember Katrina blasting through the gulf did you here of all the oil rig destruction?, thats because there wasn't any. And A.N.W.R.. People dont be fooled by the enviros find out the truth about the A.N.W.R proposed drilling site, how small it is and the desolate area its located in, not the pristine wilderness we've all been lead to believe. It's marshland.
Wind field technology is an awesome source of clean power. I believe the power companies are scrambling to regulate and control the hell out of it as we speak. Think about it (they do), How are they going to charge us for somthing they get for free? Other than initial startup there is no depletion factor to figure in their supply and demand equation of expenditure for bussiness cost and overrun to justify rate increases. The price of wind has remained pretty stable since the dawn of time, free.
The same goes with Tidal hydro-electric power, awesome source, yet the power companies are reluctant to use such a huge source of freely occurring supply of energy, why ?. To uderstand that greedy little answer about corporate America go rent the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car", then you can all be pissed at the right people. All I can say about the melting of polar caps, submereged OBX, beach on I-95, lighthouses underwater is, it must be a trip at your dinner table.
Here's a idea for our legislators, if we have to build a new Oregon Inlet bridge incorporate some saltwater turbines in their support structures so as to harness the tidal energy for the surrounding communities. And please by all means dont be stupid enough to kill off your coastal communities exsistances, welfare and income by prohibiting people to go to the exact same places your chamber of commerce commercials invites visitors to enjoy.

LT

Back to top Go down

Oil Drilling

Post  MadMarv on June 30th 2008, 4:27 pm

Instead of drilling of the Outer Banks and leading to their eventual destruction by melting the poles, why not use the renewable resources out there - mainly wind and tidal power. A wind farm near Diamond Shoals would be able to power the whole island, with more left over for the rest of the state. And capturing the tidal energy or putting turbines in the Gulf Stream could capture more. And all without releasing a single molecule of greenhouse gases. Plus it would be a boom to the local economy and provide some jobs that aren't tied completely to the tourist industry.

And BTW, where does all that black stuff on the sand come from as it is? Something tells me it's not squid ink, but oil that has leaked from tankers - but that I don't know for sure. Any locals have a take on it? Is it natural or man made?

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

oil drilling

Post  orv4me on June 27th 2008, 11:17 pm

Oil drilling off the coast will never happen! The Dems in Congress and the Senate bow down to eco-nazis and their ilk. These folks want the price of gas to top $10 to $15 a gallon so that people will stop driving all together and use mass transit. When was the last time there was a major oil spill on a oil rig?? By the way, you wouldn't even see a rig from the beach.

orv4me

Back to top Go down

oil drilling

Post  local on June 26th 2008, 1:20 pm

I do work in the tourist industry, I wonder if you have thought about how many tourists will come to the OBX when there are oils spills and the horizon is littered with drilling rigs. I am not sure, have done no research on this, but i think alot of people come to the OBX because of its natural beauty and unique coastline that offers many activities that revolve around a clean and healthy ocean ecosystem. If there is oil on the beach how many people will still come to play mini golf and shop at wings?

local

Back to top Go down

Struck a nerve??

Post  orv4me on June 25th 2008, 6:57 pm

I must have struck a nerve with the "local." I wonder what you do for a living, if it is not tourist related you must do very well. I will be the bigger man an apologize if I hurt your feelings over my hurtful words about burnig a DOW flag and hunting ducks. Maybe I can take a class on sensitvity regarding the enviroment and brainwashed into thinking my opinion should be forced on a larger majority of people who disagree with me. Then maybe I will become a kool-aid drinking eco-nazi trying to shut down an entire economy over a bird.

orv4me

Back to top Go down

Lights on all night

Post  local on June 24th 2008, 5:46 pm

Instead of keeping your lights on all night, why don't you see how far out into the ocean you can swim? That will really show them, and if you can't make it back I guess someone else will take up your crusade to destroy all things relating to nature.

local

Back to top Go down

carbon footprint??

Post  orv4me on June 11th 2008, 11:13 pm

Maybe I can buy some carbon credits from Al Gore's company!! Global warming is the biggest hoax ever. Al Snore is making some serious cash hand over fist. If we could drill for oil in our own country we would be in good shape right now. If the price of gas hits $10 a gallon, I will still drive down to the OBX and plant my carbon footprint all the way down the highway to get here. Maybe a better protest would be better than the light thing, maybe burn some DOW flags on the beach and go duck hunting on the weekends.

orv4me

Back to top Go down

Beach lights etc

Post  MadMarv on June 11th 2008, 1:57 pm

To LT, obviously you've not seen my posts opposing the original lawsuit as excessive and based on bad science. But I've also pointed out in the past that it has been the continuous opposition over the years of groups like CHAPA to any restrictions that have led to this Draconian solution. You are lucky at this point that there is any ORV access, considering what could have happened.

As to ORV4me who can't wait to make a large carbon footprint, enjoy burning your $5/gallon gas - the beach will always be there - it just might be in off I-95 once the poles melt - much easier to get to. But Cape Point and the towns of the Outer Banks will be nothing but an interesting submerged ruin - I'm sure scuba divers will enjoy diving down to see the lighthouse.

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

Re: keep your rental house lights on all night!!!!

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on June 3rd 2008, 9:26 am

a literal drive in. good idea. Cool

HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NITE LITE

Post  LT on June 3rd 2008, 12:45 am

Whats up Marv, you dont want to waste anything? How about wasting all of our beaches best fishing areas. You said rates will go up,can you name one thing thats gone down,just one. Yeah I can see how lights might ruin that beautiful night sky you and yours enjoy so much,it would be a real shame if you had something taken away from you that you enjoy so immensely and didnt have any say in the matter what so ever. I couldnt imagine what that could feel like especially after youve enjoyed it for so long.
Woah did you say carbon emissions,hold on there Mr.Gore. Lets just say the buck stops there for me. I'm really getting tired of being lumpped into some Lear jet globe trotting Amazon destroying criminal Earth conspiracy thats out there. Better yet let me ask everyone a few simple questions. Who here has clubbed a baby seal? harpooned a whale? anybody chop down a redwood Sequoia lately? who here has run over a plover stopped two from mating or stopped any from nesting? now a show of hands how many of you own a huge factory thats spewing out large amounts of pollutants?. You see there's a perception of a problem certain individuals and groups would like to portrey as my fault and my doing that I'm not buying into.
You want to know whats sinful?, Not being able to enjoy that beautiful night sky while fishing at the Point,Oregon Inlet,Hatteras Inlet,North & South Ocracoke just like I've done for decades and decades. Hell not being able to enjoy those areas at anytime is a sin.
If you want a good protest get evreyone who uses these areas to load up their gear start in Moyock on a Sat. morn and convoy to Buxton at 25 mph once there fan out on both sides of route 12 heading back north and camp along the side of route 12 for the weekend trust me the news crews will come running.

LT

Back to top Go down

keep your rental house lights on all night!!!!

Post  orv4me on June 2nd 2008, 10:09 pm

I can understand wanting to get under these eco nazi's skin, but maybe a different approach is better. Oh, I can't wait to make a "carbon footprint," like the last post states. I am not going to leave all of my beach house lights on, just my porch lights along the beach. I like the idea of a big march along highway 12 or little sit in at the Pea Island pull over to welcome oncoming visitors to the island.

orv4me

Back to top Go down

Rental Lights

Post  MadMarv on June 2nd 2008, 5:28 pm

That is the most asinine protest I have ever heard of. First of all, higher electric costs will be passed on to the renters, so you just screw yourselves. Second, you will ruin the beautiful night skies that you came to enjoy. And thirdly, it wastes power and increases carbon emissions, which is just plain sinful.

What a stupid idea! Better idea, if that's your way of protesting, stay home or go somewhere else.

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

protest???

Post  sherrymskt on May 28th 2008, 11:26 pm

You want a protest? How about gathering as many souls as you can and take a stroll down HWY 12 from the Point to Oregon Inlet. Sounds insane? Maybe it would catch enough attention from our wonderful politicians and see how important this issue is and take charge and put their feet down and see what can be done. Something has to be out there that can be changed. What else? Any ideas other than driving the power costs up and wreaking havoc on home owners.

I am gain for a stroll! Very Happy

sherrymskt

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I commend

Post  soutside on May 28th 2008, 12:46 pm

I commend you for trying to come up with a protest, but maybee a trip back to the drawing board is in order.

soutside

Back to top Go down

lights on all night?

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on May 27th 2008, 4:24 pm

unfortunately they already have targeted other beaches and parks as well. i agree with the last post here, it will drive up costs for the renters and the rentees.

HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: keep your rental house lights on all night!!!!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top