Colorado Resident Speaking Up...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

amen!

Post  hatteras on June 9th 2008, 4:42 pm

Amen brother! all that you say is so true! The birds have ALL of Pea Island; sound side and ocean. They have dredge island and many, many islands all around. I think, like every living creature, the strong survive. I can't imagine birds are laying eggs right where all the people are. The people are by the water. If the birds lay their eggs there than the ocean will surely get them. At as far as food and frolicking, I am sure they will go to a more quiet place to that; and their is plenty of space for them to do that. This is truly and act of otter control! A bunch of people who would like nothing more than this place to be a ghost town. It wouldn't bother them a bit. They have made that clear. Not just by all this unjustified closing of the beach but they are also keeping us from building our new bridge. They could care less if they destroy families or much less if the bridge to collapse! I just hope no one gets hurt when it does! Just imagine the impact if there are cars on it when it goes! From what I understand, it is a pretty rough current through if one is able to get out of the car and not drown. I just don't get it! The birds aren't even endangered! they are just threatened! But either way, birds place to nest, frolick and eat should not be put above people's lives! There are plenty of places around the area for them to go to. From what I was told, they really love the old outer banks mall: flat, close to the sound and not too many predators can get them! Sounds like the birds are smarter than the extremists! Sorry to go on and on but it really makes me mad!

hatteras

Back to top Go down

Colorado Resident Speaking Up...

Post  James Be on June 8th 2008, 7:01 pm

Born and raised in beautiful Eastern North Carolina I now live in Vail, Colorado and just now heard about the proposed closing of many OBX beach driving accesses...I understand the reasoning behind the closures is to save the birds??? I wouldn't know percentages but isn't a large portion of the OBX already wildlife protected areas??? I would be curious to see the numbers on how many acres are already "people-free" areas...and what that number breaks down to percentage-wise. I grew up surfing, surf-fishing, in-shore and off-shore fishing from southern Long Beach, NC all the way up through northern Nags Head, NC and have many fond memories...My family would spend three to four weeks in these areas in the off seasons, helping to spur the local economies and would generally spend entire summers surfing and fishing our way up and down the coast in the summer. Don't get me wrong...I love wildlife and protecting it as necessary...but I can not agree to what local bird-lovers propose. With the economy in shambles and gas prices at record highs...summer tourism and local OBX businesses are already going to be facing problems. I think it would be safe to say many local business men and women aren't in favor of cutting back on beach accesses. If these birds are endangered or close to endangerment, please let me know...maybe partial closures could help (at night only?) but if not, there should already be ample acreage for our fellow feathered friends.

James Be

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top