SCANDAL????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SCANDAL????????

Post  Frank Folb Jr on July 3rd 2008, 11:01 pm

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were done away with but what the heck, obnoxius, Outer Banks, it works and people are making money off of it. Capitalism at it's finest.

A nice friendly HI works best for me. And that does stand for Hatteras Island. Very Happy

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HI OBX

Post  stevenM on July 2nd 2008, 8:16 am

The tourisim board is responsable for the OBnoXious license plates. It's a trend or fad. The fact is that it's an acronym for obnoxious so it's more fitting on the tourist cars than our plates. Let's do away with it.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Folb Jr on July 1st 2008, 10:46 pm

That's BS Stevem

There is a clear association with the Outer Banks and OBX. Why do you think that Dare Co. bought the rights to use the OBX on 2 different sets of license plates. I'm OBX1030 on the second run of plates. To be honest, I could care less about the OBX label, I care much more about the HI, but that is just me.

Rude locals?? You bet we have some rude locals. Most are ignorant young kids who have not been properly taught by their parents. Then you have those same parents, why do you think their kids are that way?? Shot, to be honest, if I get behind you and your running 50 in a 55 I may flip you off myself. Sorry, I have things to do and places to go. I am not on vacation!! But at the same time, IF I see ya having troubles on the hwy or beach I gaurantee you I will stop and offer a hand as will MANY other locals that I know.

VA bEACHERS!!! Kooks used to invade our best surf breaks every weekend!! Had a few words with a few of them in the past, BUT just like Yankees, I have a ton of great friends from Va Beach and all over VA for that matter. The stand in the sand BBQ?? Thankks to all of you it was a great success and I promise you that MANY of us do appreciate your help. Tell ya what stunk about it though. I had to work all day at the ferry docks and didn't get to eat BBQ with you.

Remember everyone!! We are all in this together and if we have a prayer at getting back our beaches it is by standing together, united in the fight to reopen our favorite fishing, surfing, hanging on the beach spots.

Thanks you all for your passion and God Bless!!

Frank Folb Jr

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HA

Post  stevenM on June 20th 2008, 3:45 pm

Thank You. What you want to call it is up to you. The outer banks are connected to VA through Wash Woods,False Cape, Back Bay and then Sandbridge. Growing wider and more forested as you go north. A peninsula of sorts. There is no goegraphic differance between Carova and Wash Woods. There is NO breech or inlet from Oregon Inlet to Rudee Inlet. The Outer Banks are part of the mainland, connected through VA. Check your topo map, or take the adventure yourself and go from Oregon Inlet to Carova, park. Go through the fence and ride the beach to Wash Woods to pick up a trail going north. Or ride into Carova and find the power poles headed north (only if the beach is flooded, be prepared for nasty and difficult conditions). Eventually you emerge at Back Bay and Sandbridge Pier.
I grew up partly in Corova and then on Hatteras. Going from Back Bay to Carova is a great adventure. I still do it once a year on a beach bike. A strenuous journey.
Tjordan, don't be so hard on yourself by thinking you're an idiot. It's not your fault you are misinformed. Geography 101.
Later

stevenM

Back to top Go down

You're an idiot

Post  tjordan on June 18th 2008, 10:02 am

I had to register with this forum just to refute your idiocy, and I agree with StevenM on the fact that I'm probably talking to a 12 year old.

Let's be clear that 'outer bank' is a geographical term as is 'barrier island'. The Outer Banks of NC and Va extend from Sandbridge to Oregon Inlet. Unbroken and part of the mainland US.
No it doesn't. There are no outer banks of VA. They do not start in Va. They do not end at Oregon Inlet. If they were part of the mainland, they wouldn't be called "banks". Every single sentence you just said was incorrect. Go back to geography class.

The Barrier Islands begin at Oregan Inlet and extend into FL.
The barrier islands begin all the way north at Corolla/Corova and extend to the southern end of NC. Again, you fail to research your geography.

Hatteras Island is not part of the outer banks.
Ok, now you're just an idiot.

There is no logical association of OBX to outer bank.
Clearly youre right. The federal aviation administration must be totall off its rocker to have named our airport OBX when it was first built. (which is where the name came from in the first place) Secondly, the stickers you see all over the place, the round white oval with the three letters in them? The very first of those designs was the OBX design, before it got hijacked by every other goof who wanted to come up with a sticker anagram. On a side note, it was copyrighted by the guy who first had them printed... an OBX native from our beach.

Anyway, I came on here originally to post a link I'd like to drive some traffic to.
If you would take the time, please visit the blog and spread the news:
http://carolinaregion.blogspot.com/2008/06/support-hr-6233-s-3113-and-save-cape.html

tjordan

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

StevenM

Post  meinVB on June 17th 2008, 6:36 pm

Hey, StevenM - Virginia Beach (or any other part of Virginia for that matter) has never been referred to as the Outer Banks. Sandbridge may be referred to as the "Outer Banks OF Virginia", but it's not literally the Outer Banks. In case you hadn't noticed Va Beach is not an island. You're the first person I've ever heard refer to VA as the Outer Banks.

Talk about obnoxious!! Your car must be covered in those stickers (if you're even old enough to drive)! BTW, is that what the OBX stands for on all of those North Carolina license plates as well? I have a feeling I'm dealing with a 12 year old right now, so that's all I'm going to say about this topic.

Grow up pal!

meinVB

Back to top Go down

OBnoXious

Post  stevenM on June 17th 2008, 5:53 pm

Let's be clear that 'outer bank' is a geographical term as is 'barrier island'. The Outer Banks of NC and Va extend from Sandbridge to Oregon Inlet. Unbroken and part of the mainland US. The Barrier Islands begin at Oregan Inlet and extend into FL.
Hatteras Island is not part of the outer banks.
There is no logical association of OBX to outer bank.
It is clearly and plainly obnoxious. HA

stevenM

Back to top Go down

Wow!!

Post  meinVB on June 17th 2008, 4:29 pm

(OBnoXious?!?)
If the OBX stickers really mean obnoxious, then there sure are a whole lot of obnoxious people up and down the East Coast. I don't care what anybody says...I proudly display my OBX sticker on my truck, because to me, it represents my favorite place on Earth. Oh and btw, I've never seen one of those OBXTHIS stickers either.

(Mean locals?!?)
I realize that there are always going to be a couple of bad seeds, but as long as I've been coming to the Outer Banks (Hatteras, Buxton, & Frisco), for the last 30 + years, I've never run into anyone that hasn't been as nice as they could be. Well....to be honest there is one particular campground that the people are pretty rude a lot of the time. And because of past experiences, we did stay in a different campground this year. These people couldn't have been nicer, so I'm sure that will be where we stay from now on. I get that some of the "locals" just want the island all to themselves, but if there weren't tourists, wouldn't that make life a little harder for a lot of the business owners? Seems to me a lot of them sort of depend on the tourists.

(Virginia Beach?!?)
What's the deal with that? I was born and raised in Va Beach, and now I'm raising my kids here. What did we ever do to the people of the Outer Banks??? I'm a good person and so is my family, and that's pretty offensive to say the least! There were 12 in our group from Virginia Beach this weekend that went to the Stand in the Sand BBQ to show our support for you guys. I guess our donations and support didn't mean anything because we're from Va Beach?????

meinVB

Back to top Go down

Post  beachbrat on June 16th 2008, 4:52 pm

I've been vacationing my entire life in Buxton (i have VERY smart parents! Smile ) and i am VERY sorry that you had a bad experience. in all of the years that i have been spending time on the Outer Banks, the only problems i have ever had are with other tourists. The local people have always been incredibly warm and welcoming, that's why i've made up my mind that no matter what happens with this whole beach access mess, i will continue to spend my hard earned money in Buxton and the surrounding area. Anyways, i sincerely hope that you won't let one bad experience tarnish your view of a most beautiful and special place.

beachbrat

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

local sentiment

Post  llitten on June 16th 2008, 9:49 am

In response to the guy who had people cursing at him due to a flat tire on rt12,
it is my experience that most locals drive slower then the speed limit. They are not in a rush, most of the time.
It is my experience that the tourists or weekend warriors are the ones rushing and cursing.

Yeah local feelings are strong, but I also know that most locals realize that it is the tourist that helps make their living.

llitten

Back to top Go down

OBnoXious

Post  stevenM on June 16th 2008, 8:47 am

The guys that came up with OBX did so as a joke. It means obnoxious and they were hopeing people would stick it on their designate themselves as such. It really caught on and they have been laughing all the way to the bank.
I don't understand the ignorance because it obviously doesnt mean outer banks.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

Question

Post  Free& on June 16th 2008, 1:42 am

Like I said in former post I am sorry you have had bad experiences while visiting the Island. I know you might find this hard to believe since you must have run into the worst of the worst, but most people that live here are really nice and helpful. I know it is not as friendly as it use to be but I think most people that live here are willing to go the extra mile to help others. Most of the cars that would have passed by some one with a flat tire even thou they had NC plates I bet they were not from here. Now I had better clearify that, I have a small business and 99% of all the people that stay with us are GREAT but every now and then we will have a real CRAB. I think it is most unfortunate that you have only met the crabs.
Over the years I have learned a lot about the crabs, if I go out of my way to be extra nice to them, most but not all will actually have a change of attitude and show they do have a nice side before they checkout. I hope that you will give Hatteras a second chance because I am sure you find we aren't as bad as we appeared to be. NOW I HAVE A QUESTION. One posted about a OBXTHIS Sticker???? I live here and have never seen this one. I have seen the oval OBX sticker and I have seen it on cars in many states. WHAT does the OBXTHIS Mean?
KNOW THIS when ever you cross the bridge the majority of Island people say THANK YOU.

Free&

Back to top Go down

STICKER SHOCK

Post  OBXTHIS on June 15th 2008, 10:33 pm

YUP I AGREE TOO.......I HAVE ALREADY YANKED MY STICKER OFF AND THE DAMN PLATE TOO. PEEPS IN OBX SEEM TO HAVE VERY LONG NOSES IN WHICH THEY LOVE TO LOOK DOWN AT TOURISTS. MAYBE YOU OBX PEEPS SHOULD START DUPLICATING MORE OF THOSE YANKEE STICKERS THAT YOU LOVE TO BE SO PROUD ABOUT.....OR MAYBE I CAN WHIP UP SOME ABE LINCOLN ONES FOR YOU TO SELL. LOL

OBXTHIS

Back to top Go down

Post  bchgrl on June 15th 2008, 1:00 pm

Very nice email and thank you. Nice to see atleast one person stepped forward. I honestly agree with you about the crowding of homes that were built and the price they charge is RIDICULOUS to say the least.

I have mixed feelings on what is taking place and really hope that a mutual resolution transpires for all of you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless! flower

bchgrl

Back to top Go down

SO Sorry

Post  free& on June 14th 2008, 5:22 pm

I am so sorry to hear that you have been treated badly while visiting Hatteras Island. Believe me when I say that it is only the FEW 1/2%. It is sad that people from all over feel that if they are born in a place or even have moved to a certain town they own it. If I am not nice to you then I can't exspect to be treated kindly when I visit your town. I believe that the residents of Hatteras know that your visits are what keep the economy going, with out you we are with out jobs and that means no food on the table, if you are lucky enough to have a table. I for one say WELCOME and Thank you for Coming and Thank you for all your help in keeping our beaches open and free. Dare County should have kept a handle of some of the building. I think the Island would be better if a lot of BIG CHAINS hadn't come. Mom & Pop stores are so much nicer. Other complaint I have is dare Co. allowed developers to come in and build big houses on foot print lots, destroying all the trees. Now don't take this the wrong way the houses and people are fine, we welcome you, but some of the building I am sure you agree should have been controled. Most people come here for the primitive atmostphere thatwwill soon be gone if some one doesn't change some rules.

free&

Back to top Go down

Local reception of visitors

Post  Southsde on June 14th 2008, 8:10 am

Yep... I notice the same thing. There are a lot of locals who BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS THEM. For instance the OBXTHIS sticker prominently displayed by many.

Well, if you didn't want so many visitors WHY DID YOU MAKE SO MANY RENTAL HOUSES? It was well within your power to restrict building, but no..... you wanted the touron dollar. Still at the end of the day you snub visitors. I stay in AVON and have two fine tackle shops to go to. One has a tendency to treat you like a dum azz for being new to surf fishing, the other always talks to you, and is more than helpful in educating you.

One has more tackle and better geer... one has better customer service. Who gets my business? Question

All that said- there are lots of people who are glad to have our business. The rest tend to be losers anyway.

THERE NOW.......THAT FEELS BETTER Smile

Southsde

Back to top Go down

Huh

Post  JerseyGi on June 13th 2008, 11:17 am

Why would you have to lower your air pressure to drive on the highway? From what I can see she never said anything about the beach/sand so how do you know it wasn't on the road? lol! Ummm Duh

JerseyGi

Back to top Go down

AGREE

Post  SEABREEZ on June 13th 2008, 11:08 am

I am not trying to start a war........but this behavior does happen. I took family up there and we were driving on hwy 12 whne I got a flat.
I pulled over once I found a safe area. While I was getting my spare out of the trunk, atleast 3 or more consecutive vehicles went by blowing their horns and flipping us off. I did notice that the 2 plates I did see were NC. I was pretty upset because my little ones were asking so many questions about what they had just done. Point being, this behavior does happen and apparently this was not an isolated incident.

SEABREEZ

Back to top Go down

Ignorant

Post  lexy3511 on June 13th 2008, 10:14 am

Why dont you try asking questions before jumping to conclusions?????? Never said it was me that was in distress and never said it was me that got flipped off now did I???? I did however say that it took another out of state person to help another and for your info........I am NOT from Virginia!

lexy3511

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You have issues

Post  Guest on June 13th 2008, 9:58 am

Man, no wonder people just flip you off when they go by...by the way, try airing down your tires. And you wonder why nobody down there likes anyone from VaBeach.

Back to top Go down

SCANDAL????????

Post  lexy3511 on June 12th 2008, 6:00 pm

Wow!! I have to say this situation has left me furious and again complete loss of faith in our government and judicial system. I have never been one to "keep my opinions to myself ", and I certainly don't plan to here! My fiance and I were down in the outer banks this past weekend, and I was amazed as to how these so called GROUPS for preservation have completely manipulated this situation and also how amazing that the judge responsible for this outcome is also now retired.....let alone the fact the he left a LOOP HOLE wide open for the preservation groups to run with. I am speaking of the area's that were fenced off and pertain to judge's ruling as to.....(they will stay in these perimeters unless they are tampered with, if tampered with then these areas will be much larger marked off perimeters) how amazing is it that they WERE moved??? Do you really think that someone that lives down there would do it?? I don't think so, that would be cutting their own throat.......I think this is pretty CLEAR is to who DID do it though!
I also am curious as to how much the park rangers get paid.....I mean really, a job that pays you to do pretty much nothing can't be all that bad. I was at Cape Hatteras Light House and also Bodie Island Lighthouse.....it amazed me to see 3 park rangers inside of the giftshop of bodie just standing around.......why aren't they out there protecting their piper bird?????? Maybe afraid they will run over the rest of the birds they didn't get the first time? Probably!
Anyway, I think that the public needs to get more involved...and I am speaking about all of the outer staters that love to go to the outer banks.....contact your senators and legislation and BE HEARD...VOICE YOUR OPINION.....we all have a right to speak and to be heard. Yankee or no yankee, I think one best remember that people are people and money is money.....it spends the same!!! cyclops

Oh and just one more thing......you locals down there???? I hope that this will open your eyes as to all the people who are trying to help, and I also hope that the next time one of your PATRONS are stranded or in distress that you might find a little kindness and a helping hand rather then flipping them off as you go by!! Pretty sad when it takes another outer stater to stop and help but yet a local just takes your money and gives you the BIRD in a time of need.......no punt intended but FOOD FOR THOUGHT!! I know that not everyone that lives down there is like this, however, there are alot that are........tired of being glared at and snubbed because we are from another state......aren't tourist's your bread and butter???

Last edited by lexy3511 on June 12th 2008, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)

lexy3511

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top