Economic Change

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preserve our lsland

Post  stevenM on June 24th 2008, 9:51 am

I wish you did have to pay a toll to come to our villages to construct a house. That is the number one problem here. All the destruction just to build a house. A home is a different story but very few people build homes here. Stay in Nags Head and destroy.
How do you compare a river to the ocean and sound. The goelogic truth is our island is eroding from both sides. It is supposed to be 'migrating' not 'succeding' but the dune lines and houses prevent this, causing and increasing erosion.
Yes there is at least 40 miles of beach free and open. Not including the sound side beaches.
The pumping stations are county run and have permits to dump concentrates. Each rental house contaminates the groundwater, also permitted. Swimming pools and hot tubs also contaminate the groundwater and can kill vegitation. This is not permitted and I wonder what the law is. Elswhere this runoff is contained because it is caustic. Every week thousands of hot tubs and pools are drained onto the ground.
Painters dig a hole and and clean their equipment in it. These are serious issues I am trying to address. Locally there is not much concern.
A formal complaint to the EPA will be the best course of action. I want them to see what happens here on the saturday-sunday.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

Plenty of Beach

Post  stevenM on June 17th 2008, 5:42 pm

The 40 miles of beach is certainly not all open for ORVs. The best stretch of beach is 13 miles long, no ORV acess but easy to moderate passages to the beach every half mile or so. Some are every 100 yards. Unlike Duck and Southern Shores there is no denied access in the villages, ask the surfers, they populate neighborhood streets, where ever the waves are.
Oregon Inlet to Buxton is 30 miles or so, free and open.
What they should close is the beaches in front of our villages. That would stir the pot.

stevenM

Back to top Go down

RE:economic change

Post  LT on June 17th 2008, 5:27 pm

Tolls,pumping stations,40 mi.of beach ,beach eroiding on both sides ,what are you people smoking? Sturat's right theres maybe 20 mi. opean for orv use. You can call the EPA if you spot a pumping station dumping somthing into our waters, enless they have the right permits they will be highly busted trust me. The reason for the land eroiding its called,"Succession", where ever land touches water the water eventually wins hence the "Grand Canyon". Tolls?,oh yeah now theres a brite idea, can I get a show of hands who here wants to pay 10-15$ every time you cross that bridge. Whos paying the toll when I have to run to Waves every day to construct a home,me?,the builder?. Its a state maintained road {or it was supposed to be } its not like the detirioating bridge just appeared last year they've known about this for sometime. You just cant keep painting a rotting board. If everyone who thinks they know what the new bridge should look like and where the new bridge should start and stop and how a bridge impacts nature,ecosystems,tides,currents would just shut up something could get done.Trust me folks I've seen the mid county bridge go from 19 million to 450 million.

LT

Back to top Go down

There are not 40 miles open to ORV, go to the NPS site and see

Post  stuart on June 17th 2008, 2:32 pm

The NPS site has an easy to use google earth map to see what is accessible.
Currently there are only 19-20 miles of beach accessible to ORV from Nags Head to the end of Ocracoke Island.

The pedestrian only access is somewhat irrelevant since you either can't see if from the road to access nor walk over the dunes to reach it.
Yes there is pedstrian access in front of all the villages IF you can find access and don't mind all the crowds.

stuart

Back to top Go down

Re: Economic Change

Post  HYDRAFISH2 on June 17th 2008, 7:59 am

If you are talking fourty miles of beach that the nps posted and have not actually seen these areas lately then you are misinformed. As for pristine, there is not an area in the US that is pristine anymore. Not developed would be a more correct statement. This issue is about your american rights as a human being. Yes protect where you can, preserve where you can, but not at the cost of HUMAN QUALITY of life. It is a small group of special interest groups that are DICTATING to everyone how, when, where, how you should live your life. Using the premise of protecting the birds and turtles is just that a premise. The american people are being legistlated to death. Thus nothing really gets done but lip service on the cap hill, your communities. What if that bridge collapses with people on it? What if the people on the island die because food, and other necessities cannot be shipped down there? Just trying to point out that this issue goes beyond way beyond birds, orvs, access and the turtles. That park has been regulated, it was decided by the dow and as that it was not managed to THEIR LIKING, so they sued to make national policy. Get it now? Cool
HYDRAFISH2

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Home in Hatteras

Post  stevenM on June 16th 2008, 9:05 am

It is more than 40 miles because the island is 55 miles long. Access is easy to moderate and every half mile if you know what to look for. Northern areas are secluded and peaceful during the summer months. Don't forget to visit the maritime forest while you are here. It's the largest on the US east coast. An amazing place but it is being cut and diseased. Visit while you can.
There is much going on here that outsiders are unaware of.
Lifetime Resident,Steven

stevenM

Back to top Go down

40 miles

Post  bchgrl on June 15th 2008, 1:04 pm

To make light of the situation, I think these 40 miles of beach are the 40 miles that you can only get to by boat.....possibly....just kidding. lol Razz

bchgrl

Back to top Go down

40 MILES ???????????????????

Post  free& on June 14th 2008, 5:28 pm

Beaches NOT CLOSED 40 miles open for people to use. WHERE WHERE WHERE is this 40 miles.
Evidently you have not been here. I really wish that you were right. Please respond and let us know where we can find this 40 miles of open beaches. Thank you

free&

Back to top Go down

What if...

Post  Concern on June 14th 2008, 2:24 pm

I wasn't aware of the treatment plant dumping.....this seems to be a nationwide issue. WHY I ask is this allowed??
I think that tainted waters have a bigger issue on killing birds and animals then visitors to the island. Stricter laws should have been enforced a long time ago for visitors to control beach abuse, littering and wildlife endangerment. Patroling these issues could have helped with what is happening now. A liitle too late now though. Too help with these control costs, a toll could have been placed prior to the bridge upon entering the islands....I wouldn't have a batted an eye at a $10 or $15 toll with weekly pass. Education brochures would have been a great opportunity to distribute at that time as well as laws and fines. The funds from these tolls could have helped with the cost of the bridge maintenance and also funds for hiring more people for patrol to enforce the laws and help with island education of wildlife and habitat. Maybe people having paying this toll would have stood up, took notice and even helped with your occurring issues. I think the next focus at hand is to get yhour treatment plants and dumping under control, that is your number one culpret. Shocked

Concern

Back to top Go down

Economic Change

Post  steveM on June 14th 2008, 8:55 am

The fact of the matter is that the destruction has continued too long. Our ground waters are being tainted. Concentrates are pumped into the sound from treatment plants. Habitats and ecology have been destroyed. The island is eroding from both sides because of the dune lines. The beaches have not closed. There are 40 miles of beach easily acessable.
If the amount of traffic and destruction to our livelyhood continues we will all lose out.
Here is to reclaiming our ecology and heritage. Hopefully the issues will prevent a new bridge from being built for a more practical solution.

steveM

Back to top Go down

Re: Economic Change

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top