don't be fooled

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ridiculous

Post  FleetSox on April 7th 2008, 12:10 am

I just want to say its ridiculous, because ive never seen the slightest evidence of a bird down there... ok, maybe once in like, 15 years. and these guys are brainwashed, because they obviously care more bout some nonexistent birds than me or you. if they close off the beach, and some birds move in, i hope whatever excessively eats the moves in too. not that i want the beach to close

FleetSox

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beach Trips

Post  Alan War on April 5th 2008, 10:53 am

My family and I have been coming down to the outer banks for generations to drive out on the beach and fish. When I say “my family” I am referring to 3 different groups who come down multiple times per year. Each time down we rent houses, frequent your restaurants, and drop over 1K into your economy.

The ONLY reason we drive the distance is because we can take our rig out on the beach. The majority of my family lives in the Raleigh area. I myself live in Tennessee now. Regardless of the distance, I still make the trip several times a year.

I use to split the beach trips between going to Ocracoke and driving on the beaches at Fort Fisher. A few years back, they started charging for beach access at Fort Fisher. That’s when my trips down there ended. I had not planned on trips down there anymore. But if we can’t drive on Ocracoke, we will be heading south again. It’s at least 2.5 hours closer. Each year down on the OBX beaches, there seems to be less and less driving allowed. When is enough restrictions enough?

The bunny hugger crowd will not be satisfied until no vehicles are allowed on the beaches, no fish are allowed to be caught and no animals allowed to be hunted. If any of you think that budging some on your stance to make peace will end this fight, you are gravely mistaken. A little bit here and a little bit there, that is how these environmental freaks operate. In the end, they will be ripping out highway 12 and dismantling the towns to return it to “nature”.

Make your stand now, the vast majority of North Carolinians are behind you!

Alan Ward

Alan War

Back to top Go down

Whatever

Post  Frank Folb Jr on April 5th 2008, 10:16 am

Ana,

Your lack of knowledge of the area and theissues are scary. you should actually leave your house and see first hand what your trying to talk about.IN THE SUMMER, the roads are filled with big suv's with drunk drivers???What about the winter when all of the local punks are in their big suvs drunk??Your/our biggest problem with drunks are the rude young local kids who are being enabled by their families. Every time they get in trouble mommy and daddy come to the rescue. I would imagine you probably fit that profile!!!

Yeah, don't worry folks, after they make the closures up and down the beaches you'll have miles and miles of beaches to drive on from Buxton to Salvo Let's see a total of 16 miles!!! But don't forget 3 miles of that is closed seasonally through Avon now were down to 13 miles and don't forget there are usully some safety closures and of course don't forget usually a few nesting closure for the NON endangered skimmers.

Hummm how quickly Miles and Miles turn into only a very small area, OH I forgot to tell ya, you won't catch big drum up there this spring either and maybe only a handfull of spanish . They will all be hangin out in the huge closure at Cape Point, where we can't go walking or driving!!!

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response to anna mos

Post  toddinva on April 2nd 2008, 8:51 pm

First of all, I've been coming to Hatteras for 38 years and never once have I ever smelled motor oil or urine on the beach. So I don't know where your head is when you go to the beach. Second of all, I agree with the cigarette butts and occassional other trash that you may come across, but my family and I always pick up any trash that we see. And we have never left any trash behind. We live in Virginia Beach, but we don't visit our own beach because we're not able to drive on the beach and fish like we can in Hatteras. That's why we travel to Hatteras, for the fishing and for the freedom of driving on the beach.

As for the birds, ever since I can remember they've always nested or hung out in the dunes anyway. As for the turtles, they've always roped off the areas where they've laid their eggs and people respected that and drove around it.

Regarding your comment about "walking our fat asses" to the beach, there is no where near the amount of parking areas to accomodate all of the people that visit each year.

If any of the local Hatteras residents don't think that this is going to affect the local economy then they are sadly mistaken. Because my family of 4 spends thousands of dollars there every year, not to mention the 3 other families that travel with us that will not be spending money there either. There will not be any reason for us to travel to the Outer Banks if we can't drive on the beach.

The reason that you have the amount of tourism that you do now, is because people like me that have grown up going down there. It's where my parents vacationed and it's where I take my kids...generations have grown up visiting the Outer Banks.

But one negative comment does far more damage than 10 positive comments could end up doing.

So anna mos....you better be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

toddinva

Back to top Go down

Lighthouse

Post  MadMarv on April 2nd 2008, 6:56 pm

I'd love to see your lighthouse too. Used to be able to see it from the beach (or decks) in Avon, but they went and moved the damned thing. And where is the erosion? The spit is still there - hasn't changed a bit.

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

A Loyal Tourist

Post  Myhearts on April 2nd 2008, 12:32 pm

I've been reading the posts here for the last couple of days and frankly, it's just making me sad. I'm not posting this to start anything with the people that wish to have the beaches closed, everyone has their own opinion. But this is most definitely a subject that is close to my heart, so I do have a few things to say as a loyal visitor to the Outer Banks.

I have been visiting the Outer Banks, more specifically the Buxton and Frisco areas, since I was one, and I'm almost 38 now. My parents grew up visiting there, my children have grown up going there as well. And we have done nothing but show respect to our paradise here on Earth. We ALWAYS pick up our trash, and if we see anything else laying around, we gladly pick it up and dispose of it. Why? Because we love our beach, yes, I said "OUR" beach. We are only able to afford one or two family trips a year, and Hatteras is the only place that we make sure to set funds aside for. I can't imagine not being about to drive out to Cape Point while we're there...that's WHY we visit every summer. It's part of what makes this beautiful beach so special and rare.

I do agree that it seems like everyone and their brother now owns an SUV, and that the roads and beaches have become extremely crowded. I do suppose on some level, that has taken away some of the charm. But it won't stop me from visiting my paradise every year, the place where all of my troubles melt away as soon as I cross the Bonner Bridge and don't hit me again until we cross back over. These are all my own selfish reactions though, however, I have to worry about the local businesses and how this would effect them. Conner's Supermarket, Red Drum Tackle Shop, Cape Woods Campground, Frisco Woods Campground, Dillon's Corner...just to name a few. Taking away ORV driving rights, would drastically hurt their businesses and many others.

All I can say at this point is that I hope on April 4th, the judge will take everything involved into consideration. I have been looking forward to visiting my lighthouse, yes, again, I call it my lighthouse Very Happy , since last summer and I can't wait to see it again.

Much respect,
Loyal Visitor from VB

Myhearts

Back to top Go down

What's the use for protecting the environment if you're gonna shut if off from people?

Post  Granby G on April 2nd 2008, 11:35 am

We drive down from Canada. It's always been worth the 19 hours of driving, but i.If the beaches are closed to access, we will find another place much closer to to home.

Granby G

Back to top Go down

Re: don't be fooled

Post  JH on April 1st 2008, 9:17 am

I'm a moron, I do not like myself or anyone else.
JH

JH

Back to top Go down

Post  JH on April 1st 2008, 3:27 am

I hope the next hurricane comes along and washes your whole damm island away and takes those stupid birds along with it then we wont have to fight about driving on the beach anymore .

JH

Back to top Go down

disguste

Post  Ghost Cr on March 31st 2008, 9:06 am

All of the beaches will not be closed to SUV's. There will still be miles of access north of Buxton on up to Rodanthe. So, you will still be able to go to the beach with your husband.

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

re: Dont be fooled

Post  disguste on March 30th 2008, 11:33 pm

I agree with ALOT of what you say, but not all. I am not a local, but my family loves the beaches. We usually go to the sound side to do our fishing, just because its calmer. When we go down there, we respect the beaches, and the places that are marked for no access, for the protection of the wildlife, and dunes. We take our trash with us when we leave. We don't go down there to get stoopid drunk, or destroy stuff that doesn't belong to us. however, I DISAGREE with closing off the beaches to 4WD vehicles. Here is my reason. NOT ALL of the visitors to Hatteras that drive on the beaches can WALK the beach. I would be more than happy to have the chance to walk the beach hand in hand with my husband, with the waves crashing at our feet, and feeling the sand move from under our toes, and the 'sand fleas' when the water rushes back to her main body. I get to walk anywhere that I want to, but my husband, (and we have been together for 12 years-we are not a new thing) cannot. He enjoys the surf fishing (I cast his line and walk it back to him) but he is confined to a wheelchair, and has been since he was 23 years old. He's 39 now. So for 17 years, he hasn't been able to feel the sand under his feet. Hatteras and its beaches have been our way to get away from it all for 12 years now, to go straight to the water he gets out of the truck and WE WORK to get him to just the right spot, which is usually from the drivers side to around the back of his Jeep Cherokee, and then we're both so tired from fighting the sand that, that is where he stays. (Think about it, what would be maybe 5 or 6 steps for you or I, whats that?, 10 seconds? well it takes us atleast 30 minutes, carefully manuevering so as not to flip the chair just to get him to the back, where we raise the hatch and use the deck in the back for the table.) Then we stay in the same spot for hours. we don't cruise the beaches to show off, we just go there to fish, and of course, I gotta get a hermit crab! I know that what I have to say, and how I feel (being that I don't live there) means absolutely nothing, because I [/i]am[i] a tourist, I just feel that I would rather pay for a permit to access the beaches than to have one freedom that we do have taken away because not everyone that goes down there goes to trash the place. Thanks for listening.

disguste

Back to top Go down

Beach Access

Post  Eye-Roll on March 30th 2008, 5:10 pm

"Well said..." ? I think not! I really want to go into a long rant, but I won't because as I've learned, you cannot argue with 'ignorant!' I'ts people like you who incite people like me to try and get into a long debate of blah blah blah.
But I will say this, right now it's not just about closing the beaches to four-wheel drive, it's about closing the beaches to ALL beach users. If you would bother to genuinely look into what is actually going on, you'll see that when this lawsuit goes up before the judge this coming week, it is not only going to close the beach to vehicles, the areas in question, will also be closed to humans. That means you will have NO ACCESS, period!!
Thank you for your time. S

Eye-Roll

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Cr on March 30th 2008, 12:54 pm

Very well said & my sentiments exactly. Glad there are some people, like you, who will think for themselves and not get caught up in the hysteria being generated by some of the more powerful businessmen and money grabbers who don't give a hoot about the natural beauty of the islands. Only the money they can prostitute it out for.

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

don't be fooled

Post  anna mos on March 24th 2008, 11:17 am

I was born in Hatteras village in 1962. It was a fun/safe/clean place for children then. Today, it is anything but; sky-high property taxes have driven many natives off their family's long-held real estate ~ traffic is so thick w/ drunks driving gas-guzzling SUVs, I don't want my kids out on the road after dark ~ and alcoholism & drug abuse is alarmingly prevalent among island residents. It seems that many ppl moving to the the island do so in order to "turn-on & drop out." These types don't like to think beyond their next high. When bright-young islanders leave for college, they rarely return.

On any given day during the summer season, giant trucks line the beach, parked side-by-side, like @ Lynnhaven mall. The once pristine beaches have become public ashtrays & urinals ("the world is my ashtray!"). Nothing is so unpleasant as when you bring your family to the beach & have to sit in sand that wreaks of motor-oil, cigarette butts & urine. Virtually no effort has been made by local municipalities to protect their region from the prevailing sh*t-storm (ie; over-crowding, filth, insolent visitors, noise pollution, etc.). Dare county enjoys the highest cancer death-rate, not only in the state, but in the mid-Atlantic region. Where do the carcinogens come from?

The local economy does not depend on allowing everyone w/ a SUV to come to Hatteras/Ocracoke & drive on the beach. That's absolutely absurd. The only thing more absurd is suggesting that the same legislation will prohibit sunbathing, fishing & surfing on island beaches as well. As long as there's a nice, clean beach, people will always visit the region to enjoy the seashore. They will still eat at the numerous restaurants, they will still buy some crappy t-shirts, and they will still try their luck fishing.

At any point on Hatteras/Ocracoke island(s), one can easily walk from the sound to the sea. They say, don't be bullied by the fed government, but don't be bullied by some bullies either. Who's to say whether one special interest is superior to the other? I would encourage people to ignore simple minded scare tactics & show a little more appreciation for what mother nature and the great state of North Carolina has given them. And, also get off their fat-arses and walk to the shore... while there's still some nice beach to enjoy. Otherwise, the haunting peacefullness of Hatteras/Ocracoke will just be a memory.

anna mos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum