Goodnight all!!

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frank...so true....

Post  sherrymskt on April 12th 2008, 1:02 am

Frank, Amen to your post. thank you. I looked at the 2007 piping plover report and maps, I was shocked and upset, The majority of the birds prefer Northern beaches over ours and SC's beaches, the majority is thousands not a trickle of a nest or two that is reported here and there. Frank, dont let the bobo's get ya upset, you hang in there, you are doing a great thing.
Sherry
sherrymskt

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Native enough!

Post  Frank Folb Jr on April 12th 2008, 12:49 am

My family goes back to the earliest Anglos on the islands just like many of you. But I tire of reading the ignorant posts of people like jaun, anamos and others. They type in half truths and lies just like the rylanders, carters, and madducks of the world. The sad thing is many people who REALLY want to help the world and it's wildlife fall into there webs of deceit and make them very strong $$$$ wise. That is a shame.Folks believe what you will but realize these people are trying to shut our beaches down over 4 to 6 pairs of birds, scattered throughout Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The survival of these few birds will not affect the overall survival of their species. There are thousnads of these birds scttered in the north east, in the south and in the Mississippi flyway.. These birds are being shoved up our fanniesbecause of the egos of a few eco wannabes. Hell one of them didn't know the difference between the south beach and the Pamlico Sound.

Ruts you folks are killing me.
Natural predation, storm winds and tides, and the bio teks themselves are what have done the damage to these birds. Not ORV's.
Educate yourselves before you make ignorant comments. Come take a beach ride with me and learn the truth. I promise you the truth, not lies and deciet!!

Frank Folb Jr

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Juan - what do you know about ruts?? Just blowing smoke!!

Post  FriscoFran on April 11th 2008, 11:11 pm

Please provide some evidence. I have not seen these ruts in the morning (other than on the access ramp). What type of wildlife do you believe is being harmed? Do you have any EVIDENCE at all??

Calling people an "idiot" for simply stating what they have themselves observed over decades and decades does not validate your position.

Without a shred of evidence, in the face of factual evidence over decades from those that live there I must assume that you have another agenda and are simply, as we would say, "blowing smoke".

FriscoFran

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How do "ruts" kill wildlife???

Post  FriscoGirl on April 11th 2008, 10:43 pm

You are doing an ad hominen attack because you have NO FACTS!

I live in Frisco - have for years. Have watched the beaches since way back when. Just looked out there. WHAT RUTS???

How do these "alleged" ruts affect "wildlife"?? Wha "wildlife???

Sorry - have lived here forever. Have ridden out dozens and dozens of hurricanes - as have my parents, siblings and children, and grandchildren.

Never have seen a problem with "ruts".

I am a scientist with multiple degrees. I have followed this for ages!

What is your background???

What do you know??

What is the basis for YOUR opinion??

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ruts

Post  Juan on April 11th 2008, 9:28 pm

The ruts are a constant problem for wildlife. AS soon as a storm or strong smooth the ruts out they are instantly recreated by the masses of ORVs rutting up the beach. It is a myth that wind and tide take care of the ruts that kill wildlife. You are an idiot!

Juan

Back to top Go down

Ruts vanish with time and tides

Post  FriscoGirl on April 11th 2008, 12:19 am

I spend a lot of time on the beach. I avoid the summers - am here the rest of the year.

I simply do not understand the "ruts" problem. When I go out at 5 am - there are NONE. The winds and tides take care of that.

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Caring for Beach

Post  RutRat on April 8th 2008, 5:33 pm

Nativepo wrote:
"We truly love these beaches and always leave them in better condition than when we found them."

Can you really say that a beach full of tire ruts was left in the better condition that when it was smooth clean sand?

RutRat

Back to top Go down

banning of more beach access

Post  nativepo on April 8th 2008, 4:59 pm

My ancestors lived on Portsmouth Island and I have lived in Carteret County all of my life. I visit the Down East and Outer Banks areas often to fish and visit and just enjoy what these islands have to freely offer.

I would like to know where these people "come from" who exude these stupid ideas of limiting, yet even more, public beach access? Most of us who use our vehicles to get to the ocean to enjoy, treat these beaches better than we treat our own children. We truly love these beaches and always leave them in better condition than when we found them.

All people, tourists and natives alike, should have the right to drive on these beaches as long as they (we) abide by the laws and regulations that govern them.

I sincerely hope that these beaches will not be closed to vehicles. If they are, then will you please explain to my grandchildren and great-grandchildren why?

nativepo

Back to top Go down

Re: Will the natives please weigh in?

Post  wjt420 on April 8th 2008, 10:21 am

sorry dint mean that the natives are the ones outlawing are commercial fishing and that all natives are against it i worded that wrong my bad it is the people from inland that dont live hear that are really behind it all they dont care about us down here. If they had it there way people would only be able to live in there house and god forbid you step on a peice of grass.

wjt420

Back to top Go down

Post  wjt420 on April 8th 2008, 10:14 am

I just want to know what all of you natives do for a living i was born and raised in kill devil hills i have seen a lot of change myself i have done everything from commercial fish to building houses. If it was not for the tourist industry how would you keep a roof over your head do you think that the birds are going to help with that. It is you same people who are out lawing commercial fishing, and do you really think that people are going to still come down here to see beaches that you cant go to step foot on. So what are you going to do for money? I have been to the beach in almost every state on the east coast and our beaches are the cleanist and best preserved on the east coast. I volunteer for turtle watch among other things. All that i see are people who care more for some birds that dont even nest hear than the people who are making a living and help to take care of the outer banks. I know alot of people out there dont like freedom and think the goverment should tell us what we can and cant do but some of us enjoy the freedom of going fishing, surfing, and just going sitting and relaxing on the beach. Go on and take the beaches, the money that it brings in, and the opportunity to raise are kids on the beaches. Then when you cant afford to pay your bills you can sleep better knowing there are no tire tracks on the beach oh wait you wont know that beacuse to walk over there and look will be against the law.

wjt420

Back to top Go down

Post  DawsonRy on April 8th 2008, 5:43 am

Ghost Cr is not a native he is a liar.

Almost no one is a Native. Most people came in the last 3 generations or less. We are no endanering species either. Man People have built cities all over the US. they like to live in them, but kepp a little vaction sopt to visit a week out of the year.

I grew up on hatteras a real Native all the way back to American Indains. These people can just try driving a hour off the Island just to buy a pair of basketball shoes because we have no store. There was no fill in the blank just 20 years ago. Any time you needed most modern things you have got to leave and come back. We have zoning laws, we have ways of preventing becoming just a copy of Nags Head. We don't have chain stores becaus eyou see right now locals own the land. What they want to do it drive us into selling so that the chain stores can come in and buy it up from the desperate and transform the Island into what this writer despises the most. We still have no hospital, no jail, no court, we had one school, offen the electricity went off just out of the blue. But you see we didn't care. We have always had the beach. And now they want to take that away. This will absolutely ruin the economy of the Island. You might was well just take bulldozers and drive over businesses.

Its Hatteras Island not the Gaza Strip. You can't close a public beach used by millions and a billion dollar generator for literally a couple of birds. And furthermore the studies show the birds do not even nest there because of the volitile ocean and many other reasons.

DawsonRy

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-04-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

population growth = longer tourist season (no brainer)

Post  anamosit on March 31st 2008, 5:42 pm

the hatteras side of my family goes back to 1767 & 1849. my family originally acquired land on hatteras (village) via grants from the king of england. my aunt still has the documentation.

visitors to the area have no more right manipulating environmental legislation than natives (like myself) do. the earth doesn't belong to any of us, we're just temporary consumers of this planet. those of you who think it's your unequivocal right to destroy the ground beneath your feet in the name of recreation, are fools. i feel sorry for your children. it's not all about "me," humanity depends on "we."

the vitriolic responses on this forum remind me of the civic/municipal meetings in hatteras village; it's a virtual snakepit of vile behavior, ignorance, hysteria & back-stabbing. that's probably why no one of authority has been able to do anything re: damage control to the local environment ~ no one can agree on anything... except disagreement. if it weren't for the occassional lunatic throwing "abortion rights" into the environmental meddle, we'd have nothing to laugh about.

the expanded tourist season more accurately can be attributed to the fact that population of neighboring areas has grown exponentially over the past 40yrs, NOT suv beach access for the masses. most ppl will always want to bring their families to NC's beautiful, clean beaches ~ as long as they're beautiful & clean. And they'll always be welcome, as long as they respect the fact they came down to enjoy nature (not destroy it).

anamosit

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost Cr on March 30th 2008, 11:29 am

I am a local who was born on Hatteras Island. So were my parents, grand parents, great grandparents, great great grandparents, etc. I am weighing in with a vote for limiting beach driving. It's unfortunate the areas proposed happens to be the major fishing holes and I'm not unsympathic to the changes that will bring. Because change sometimes hurts. However, this appears to be a necessary change in order to protect our environment. The beaches have become over taken by SUV's, ostentatiously large rental mansions, and now those tacky big box stores that are such an eye sore up the beach. The very beauty and popularity of the Islands have become their downfall. I'm sorry, but the beach is no longer beautiful when there are tire ruts all over and you see wall to wall SUV's lined up along the shore. We are so addicted to vehicles that we will threated endangered species just so that we can "have our way". I'd also like to say the self absorbency and staggering ignorance among some of the posts is overwhelming. The islands are already overly crowded during the summer months and the wealthy powerful businessmen and politicians keep saying "more, more bring it on"!

I'd like to see where there is still some beach access but areas needing protecting are protected and off limits. The best I can tell this is what is being proposed. Except for the areas around the villages the entire area's north of Buxton and south of Pea Ialsnd are still going to be open to beach driving. Hatteras Island has fallen victim to it all being about money and nothing else. The one's who want complete and unlimited beach access don't care about anything but "having it their way" regardless of the consequences The animals and appearance of the beach do not matter to them. Their idea of "Paradise" is tire ruts and SUV's all lined up like in a parking lot at Wal Mart. I say bring on a different type tourist.

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

Post  steve on March 30th 2008, 9:11 am

Services? You would rather have 'services' over a pleasant place to live. Ridiculous. The commercial fishing has been pushed out of our communities by the tourist dollar. As well as our heritage. Locals who lived here for generations are being forced to sell part or all of their land due to the over-inflation of property. The northerners are degrading and poisoning our islands with their septic systems, swimming pools and mcmansions. Enough destruction! We look forward to the day mother nature reclaims.

steve

Back to top Go down

I Live Here

Post  DagObx on March 29th 2008, 8:21 pm

on the island. I'm not a native, but a transplant who has been coming out here since the 1950's. I finally was able to move here in 1999.

I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the natives/residences on Hatteras & Ocracoke Islands are furious over the lawsuit/injuction brought on by Defenders of Wildlife & the Audubon Society, through the Southern Environmental Law Center. I think it is also fair to say that the vast majority see it as a "land grab" for more refuge-type areas. If you were present at the last town-hall meeting last Friday night, you would have seen over 600 locals & visitors there to learn exactly what is going on. The picture is not pretty.

There will be another town-hall type meeting on April 2 in Kitty Hawk at the First Flight High School at 6:30PM. If you have any doubts as to the reaction of the locals, attend that meeting. I also believe that many are travelling to Raleigh on April 4th to attend the injuction hearing at 2PM at the federal courthouse there.

This lawsuit/injunction may have grave consequinces to ALL of us who live & work here on the islands. The revenue to Dare County alone equates to 30% of the county's total revenue. Dare is also one of four donor counties in the state - they send in more $$$ than they receive from Raleigh. All jobs/livelihoods, property values, etc. depend on the tourist trade - like it or not, that's where it's at. There is NOTHING to fall back on. Commercial fishing used to be big out here, but we all know what has happened to the commercial fishing industry. If you kill the tourist ecomony (the injunction will do that), you've killed the islands' population.

Don't give me all of that crap about how much better things would be with less vehicles/people on the island. Sure, I remember the days before Hatteras was discovered - things were OK if you like not having all of the services, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. like there are today. If you don't like the way things are out here, stay home. But do not try to force your way upon the folks that live & work here on the islands. We're here because we want to be here.........

If you want to know if the locals are concerned - YOU BETCHA!!!

DagObx

Back to top Go down

Will the natives please weigh in?

Post  obx20fan on March 25th 2008, 5:55 pm

I know everyone has an opinion on this subject, but ultimately it should be the residents of the areas being affected whose opinions count the most. I would be interested in hearing from the natives regarding this proposed "closing of the beach accesses" to see what they think. Many of us have moved here from other areas, and some have been here many years, but the natives have been through all the changes and have seen how they impacted the area. Let's hear it from you guys!

obx20fan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top