Hatteras Beaches have become ugly)-:

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

seems to me...

Post  kbrite on April 19th 2008, 4:01 pm

spa wrote:The simple fact is that vehicles on the beach take away from the beauty of the beach. When you walk over the dunes, you just want to see water, sand, birds and people. When there are vehicles are the beach it just looks out of place, and ugly. This is why other beaches around the country do not allow it and we should not allow it either.

Not to mention the excess speeding, and leaving beer bottles and other trash.

It seems to me that people with orvs pick up thier trash much better than people who walk to the beach!!! It is much easier to throw your "empties" in the truck rather than carry them off the beach.
K

kbrite

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hatteras Beaches have become ugly)-:

Post  boatdrinks on April 16th 2008, 9:14 pm

Just keep giving them ammo...Next will be the access through Pea Island for NC 12.
boatdrinks

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boatdrinks on April 16th 2008, 9:13 pm

Just keep giving them ammo...Next will be the access through Pea Island for NC 12.
boatdrinks

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

These are not "ruts" - just tire tracks that vanish with time, tide and wind

Post  FriscoGirl on April 12th 2008, 9:45 pm

Just a few days ago, when I was out on the beach with my kids, our tracks vanished within 20 minutes from the sand blown by the wind.

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Liars

Post  FriscoFran on April 11th 2008, 9:20 pm

I have been out on the beaches forever (at least 60 years - cannot admit my age).

In the 50's, 60's, 70's. 80's. 90's and now - the ruts are erased after the tide (or the first storm). They are NOT permanent. Time and tide take care of everything.

Amenities have progressed - it has saved my Granddaughter's life (thank you Buxton Rescue Squad and Dr. Crabtree).

FriscoFran

Number of posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We all need to "police"

Post  FriscoFran on April 11th 2008, 9:15 pm

As in any other endeavor, the peopel need to watch out for the interests of the people and not let others take their rights away.

FriscoFran

Number of posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

trashing is also local

Post  FriscoGirl on April 11th 2008, 8:21 pm

Mac123 wrote:sniper, I don't think it's just tourists from up north trashing the beach. Take a drive around some of the villages down some of the roads where tourists rarely go & look at all the beer cans, soda bottles, and other trash littering the roads. Sadly, some locals are doing quite a bit of littering too.

It is definitely not just the tourists - went on winter vacation and had the house vandalized - spray painting on the sides of the house - ruts through the yard from go-karts - and beer cans everywhere

and I am not directly on the beach.

FriscoGirl

Number of posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re-I disagree with compromise

Post  Mac123 on April 7th 2008, 10:44 am

sniper, I don't think it's just tourists from up north trashing the beach. Take a drive around some of the villages down some of the roads where tourists rarely go & look at all the beer cans, soda bottles, and other trash littering the roads. Sadly, some locals are doing quite a bit of littering too.

Mac123

Back to top Go down

I'd hate to see you

Post  FleetSox on April 7th 2008, 10:21 am

If Hatteras is ugly, i'd hate to see how you look.

FleetSox

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I disagree with compromise

Post  sniper on April 7th 2008, 10:12 am

I have to totally disagree with compromise is the key. First, if ORV is banned, where will the pedestrians be able to park and access the beach? That's an awfully long walk between where the current ORV access is the nearest village.

How long will it take the Audobon Society et al to say that all these pedestrians are tramping over the same bird nests on their way to the beach?

I have been fighting this kind of incrementalism all my adult life. These environmentalists know they can't shut the beach off from people all at once. They count on compromise to incrementally get their ultimate goal which is a total ban on public access. These groups are well-heeled and connected.

Furthermore, the idea that you should submit to getting a permit is ridiculous. Our tax dollars pay for that National Seashore - how dare someone suggest that I now have to pay a fee to access a beach that my tax dollars pay for!

I used to live in KDH and always went to the beaches further south to avoid the tourist congestion (don't take that as a knock on tourists - I am one now and had been one for most of my life before I lived there.) Oregon Inlet was my favorite because of proximity but I frequented the beaches of Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island as well. I surfed, I fished, I drove my Toyota on the beach. I do agree with some posters here that say that in recent years (the last 10-15), alot of visitors do trash the beach. Having been to several northern beaches and having witnessed people at Oregon Inlet with New Jersey/New York/Mass/et al license plates in the act, I can say that if the beaches up north are trashed, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to connect the dots. I'm not saying that all northerners visiting the OUter Banks are guilty of this, but I do see the SUV boom of the 1990's as making the Outer Banks accessible to visitors that never dreamed of driving in the sand. These people are of whom I speak.

sniper

Back to top Go down

Hatteras Island/Loss of freedom

Post  slimss on April 4th 2008, 12:36 pm

Who knows whether closing the beaches off is going to produce anymore bird populations. I think the birds would rather nest somewhere else anyway, and they have! The Southern Environmental law Center, Defenders of Wildlife, and The Audubon Society are doing what they do best,
pursue their personal agenda at all cost. They don't care about anything or anybody except their environmental goals. What they are really doing here is trying to take away yet another freedom from the American public and taxpayer. If they had their way and thought they could get away with it there would be NO access to any National Park. You are dealing with ruthless environmentalists here. They are not here to bargain, negotiate, or meet in good faith. They will distort the facts to their favor, use the media to their advantage, and use the politicians in Washington (whom they heavily lobby and contribute to) to get the solution they want. Hatteras Island beach access is just a drop in the bucket for what these environmental groups are trying to do. Environmental groups do have their place, but you have to fight them. They are not around to look after human rights and freedoms, its not there job!

slimss

Back to top Go down

We're in the same boat indigose

Post  VAtouris on April 4th 2008, 12:24 pm

In my family alone, we have 3 generations that have called the Outer Banks our home away from home. We are very loyal visitors and have been nothing but respectful when we visit the beaches there (ie. cautious beach drivers, clean, quiet, and the list goes on). I have spread the word and completely supported this cause in every way that I can. But I have to admit, reading the posts from some of the "locals" has been very enlightening. I have clearly been naive to the fact that the tourists have obviously not been given the same respect in return, and it's sort of hard not to take it personally. As of right now, none of us knows what the outcome will be regarding this injunction, but I for one hope that our beach driving rights are not taken away. If a compromise is able to be met, my family will continue to visit the Outer Banks, it's a way of life for us. However, I feel now that I will be visiting just the beach and lighthouse, and will bring my own provisions as opposed to spending my hard earned money for anything more than lodging. It's kind of sad really, I never thought that I would EVER speak or feel this way about the place that has brought me so much enjoyment. My heart will always be in Hatteras though, regardless of what the locals have to say about me or the thousands of others like me.

VAtouris

Back to top Go down

beach access

Post  Ghost Cr on April 4th 2008, 11:19 am

indagose,

You are so right in what you have said. It is getting very mean spirited down here & I'm embarassed that so many people down here do not feel anyone else has right to an opinion other than they have. One petty example is a post listed above where someone has used MY username to post vile comments about me because I do not agree with him on the issue. See the post above "i lie". Isn't it against forum rules to use someone else's username and submit posts? Seems to me Yahoo can remove someone from a forum for something like that.

From all you have said you are the kind of tourists I want to see come back again and again. Your opinion on beach driving may differ a little bit from mine but I just want to see the animals protected and I do not like to see SUV's lined all along the shore. Actually, my subject line "Hatteras Beaches have become ugly" is a little harsh because it's really not the beaches that are ugly. The wall to wall vehicles are what is ugly. Without SO MANY SUV's all over it is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The beauty of the beach is not really the issue, though, it's about protecting animals.

If you go down there & you want to drive on the beach you will still be able to drive for miles. Just go north of Buxton. The posts here are leading you to believe that there will no longer be beach access. That it completely untrue. So, please com back & visit. Again, you are the type tourists we want to see.

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

beach closures

Post  no peopl on April 4th 2008, 10:42 am

Does no one understand that this law suit includes people on the beach, surfing and swimming! HELLO READ PEOPLE!!!

no peopl

Back to top Go down

ruts

Post  not a lo on April 4th 2008, 10:35 am

You can not possibly be a local or anyone who spends a good amount of time on the island. Do you not understand that the ruts are what puts money in peoples pockets down there! There is NOTHING ugly about Hatteras Island it is a slice of heaven just they way it is, RUTS AND ALL!!!

not a lo

Back to top Go down

beach access

Post  indigose on April 4th 2008, 9:31 am

Wow. I was going to support this cause, but after reading these posts, I am going to decline.
What a lot of ugly postings.
I am a "tourist" (a very loyal one to NC), we spend our hard earned money in "your" beautiful state, drive on your pristine beaches.
While on the beach, as tourists, we pick up trash. Fill at least one bag everytime we go.
We love your beaches, support your way of life, support all of you. Refuse to go to box stores while
we visit, only shopping with smaller merchants. We donate to
Outer Banks causes, such as the Wild Horse Fund and the Nesting Turtles.
Only rent older cottages, never a McMansion. Have enough
of them here in Jersey. We are on this site, writing to your representatives & the environmental groups, because we care. As this is
all going on, our State Parks here in our state are being closed. I hope the environmental groups care enough
to advocate for us!
We would like to see "your" island (I use quotes, because it is all God's anyway), stay natural, undeveloped,
and have access for everyone to enjoy. My husband is a sport fisherman, and believe it or not, we have a pass
to drive on a small section of beach here in New Jersey, of all places. We drive with the utmost respect on all beaches,
it is just the smart and considerate thing to do. We have children, so we understand that driving carefully and keeping
an eye out for all children is a top priority.
After reading all this spewing and puffing and posturing- not to mention name-calling, I'm wondering if perhaps our
very hard earned money (we are NOT wealthy!) would be better spent elsewhere. I do hope the attitudes expressed are not those of the locals
in general! What a disappointment if that were so.
Remember, you will reap what you sow.

indigose

Back to top Go down

idot

Post  plover p on April 4th 2008, 1:54 am

What a rediculous jerk!!! You need to get a life pal. Maybe you are just smelling plover piss

plover p

Back to top Go down

i lie

Post  Ghostcr on April 3rd 2008, 4:03 pm

i lie.. i eat plovers,, run them over in my suv and eat seafood. i am a liar, and am just stirring the pot... i ride on the beach everyday...sucking down tons of gas... running over plovers for fun.

Ghostcr

Back to top Go down

Tree huggers get a break.

Post  its me on April 2nd 2008, 9:30 pm

I hate to say it. I dont drive on the beach in hatteras but do at oregon inlet. Im sorry but if this thing is passed there will be so much money that will be lost that i dont even know what is going to happen. I cant believe that someone said they are born and bred, and think it destoyes the beaches. come on give me a freakin break. everything destroys the beaches. It doesnt matter what u do the state does or any of the babying on the coast line that they are trying to fix. U aint gonna stop it. I bet you have some sort of job that requires dealing with tourist. If they dont come you will be broke. Or do you even live there anymore. Prob not.

its me

Back to top Go down

Oil or nature

Post  Madmarv on April 2nd 2008, 7:01 pm

Speaking of the beauty of the beach, what is with all the black sand? Is this natural (squid ink?) or is it bilge oil from ships? In any case, it is ugly. If it is from ships, perhaps that is a better place for Audobon and SELC to put their energy and resources, as it can't be very good for the wildlife.

Madmarv

Back to top Go down

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Post  OBXlover on April 2nd 2008, 3:26 pm

I agree with you Steve. These beaches are anything but ugly, the complete opposite actually. I have no idea what my family will do for summer vacations if they decide to restrict ORV beach access. I don't have a second choice, the Outer Banks are, and always have been, our first and only choice for summer getaways. Sad

OBXlover

Back to top Go down

beaches are not ugly!!!

Post  steve in on April 2nd 2008, 2:51 pm

You guys are crazy, the beaches are the prettiest things down there!! My family enjoys and respects the beach every year. If the beach closes we are never coming back and we will spend our money in South Carolina or Ocean City. It will not be the same though, the Outer Banks are a true treasure and should be enjoyed with a responsible beach access plan.

steve in

Back to top Go down

compromise is key

Post  how do w on April 2nd 2008, 2:10 pm

Are we just assuming that if beach driving is taken away then the next step will automatically be to prohibit pedestrians?

I stand by my original "i don't like the ruts". We should work with the environmentalist to find an agreeable solution and not make a huge fight out of this.

Write up a permit law to allow limited driving and seasonal driving. Make it a reasonal $$ and perhaps a Tiered access for those who need more freedom to drive on the beach (like fisherman who pay for licenses) and limited driving for tourist. The money generated could go towards increased staff to ensure that the permits/laws are adhered too.

Build additional parking beach access and walkways for the public to encourage more walking and less driving.

I feel if we force the issue then yes, the environmental groups may go to the extreme.....but if we work together (or at least try first) we could come up with a good compromise that all parties could live with.....

too many SUVs equals an ugly beach and dangerous beach - sorry but its true. Give me some open space and areas where I don't have to worry about my children running around.

how do w

Back to top Go down

roads are for vehicles, beaches are for people

Post  spa on April 2nd 2008, 9:01 am

The simple fact is that vehicles on the beach take away from the beauty of the beach. When you walk over the dunes, you just want to see water, sand, birds and people. When there are vehicles are the beach it just looks out of place, and ugly. This is why other beaches around the country do not allow it and we should not allow it either.

Not to mention the excess speeding, and leaving beer bottles and other trash.

spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghosst C on April 1st 2008, 5:33 pm

JMU Parr, I had already read what you posted once before but thank you for reposting it again here. My opinion remains unchanged. I don't think "radacial tree huggers" are going to take our island away from us no more than I think the government would allow the "extremists" on the other side to have "free and unlimited" vehicle access to the beach. There has to be some common sense solution.

Ghosst C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top