a Native's Perspective

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: a Native's Perspective

Post  Ghost Cr on April 7th 2008, 6:58 pm

I know we are getting way off the subject here, but Yaupon tea is good stuff. I've tried it myself. But, like Frank said, it used to offend some Kinnakeeter's when they would say Kinnakeeter Yaupon eater or something like that. I don't think it's considered offensive anymore though. But, just to be safe don't go running through the village yelling it. Ha ha...

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

missing link

Post  MadMarv on April 7th 2008, 5:39 pm

Don't know why this link didn't make it in. I'll try again, without the http:// or www

The website is outerbanksshells.com

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

Yaupon

Post  MadMarv on April 7th 2008, 5:36 pm

It's amazing what people will end up using as "fighting words".

Being curious, I googled the offensive expression, and found an interesting article on old island justice by Dewey Parr at

which contains a clickable link to more information on the insult, the yaupon bush and tea from it's leaves. (it's a long webpage that takes a while to load, but the article can be gotten to by clicking the link to number 17).

Next time I'm in Avon, I'll have to try to find some yaupon and try out the tea.

MadMarv

Back to top Go down

Actually

Post  Frank Folb Jr on April 7th 2008, 4:58 pm

As a kid it was a bit offensive to my Kinnakeeter friends.

Ghost Cr

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, BUT I am very passionate about this subject. It will directly affect my parents and my in laws businesses. IMMEDIATELY!! We are in the process of working on a plan that IF the eco wackos had not stepped into the courthouse would have brought us to a plan that would take care of wildlife protection and access protection BUT again the Audobon and Defenders who stioll sit at the Neg Reg table have gone to court. They have blown it as far as I am concerned. They lie to you folks on a daily basis and you send them money with blindfolds on. Then we are supposed to sit at the table in "good Faith" and work with them!! Sorry I think it's impossible!!

Frank Folb Jr

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

kinnakeeter yaupon eater - LOL!

Post  anamosit on April 7th 2008, 3:31 pm

oh gawd!
lighten up.

FYI: that's part of a silly rhyme many of the island children used to chant... i doubt seriously anyone familiar w/ it would take offense. even if they are from kinnakeet. i didn't find it offensive when i read that post - i got a good chuckle out of it! (because it had been so long since i heard it)

i mean, why would anyone pick-on our elders? (even if they disagree)
i think it was posted to poke some fun, not to be mean.

try decaf, ya'll

anamosit

Back to top Go down

Frank Fog

Post  Ghost Cr on April 6th 2008, 9:24 pm

Frank, I also have Kinnakeet blood lines that I am very proud of. Do not take offense by the post that "appeared" to be by anamosit. It was not that person, I am almost 100% certain. It was posted by an inmature jerk who happens to disagree with her/him on the issue of beach driving so he used her user name and posted that hateful comment. That person, also abused the forum by posting inflamatory comments using MY user name, Ghost Cr. I realize you & I do not agree on this issue, but I think hitting below the belt like this imposter is doing is completely out of line and I'm sure you agree on that.

Hopefully they will come up with a plan where there is at least partial access and both the beach drivers and environmentalists will win so to speak. I really dislike to see all these hard feelings and hate among us all.

Ghost Cr

Back to top Go down

Outside looking in

Post  VA Resid on April 5th 2008, 4:33 pm

Not that it matters to everyone or anyone (for that matter). I grew up in Chesapeake, VA and went to Deep Creek my entire life.
I started going to the beach at Hatteras when I was 5 maybe 6, something like that. I have grown up with the Midget, Outten, Gentry & Dixon family's. All of whom have roots in the Hatteras area. I can't remember a summer when I have not gone "down south" and driven out on the beach at Salvo or Frisco looking for a hidden break, or on a flat day just hung out and enjoyed the water. I've surf-fished with the family in all the same places. Now I'm a dad, I can't wait until my little boy is big enough to enjoy the same things I have. I can't begin to imagine what the residents are feeling and thinking. I do want you all to know that myself and my extended family are hoping and praying that this is just some people with no time on their hands, and no love in their hart and it all blows over.

It seems that some of these SIG's (special interest groups) must have some financial motivation to do what they do. It most certainly can't be free to pursue any and all the things they do. Kinda makes you wonder where the cash comes from??? Wonder what's next? Possibly off shore fishing, in-shore fishing? Who knows...

I WILL do what I can to help, I WILL tell any and all I know. Hopefully we can all have an impact and keep the beaches open for all our family's to come.

Thanks for listening and Godspeed!

VA Resid

Back to top Go down

To EWOK

Post  FriscoGi on April 5th 2008, 2:21 pm

It is not a choice of driving or walking.

ALL BEACH ACCESS would be denied.

Lovie is right. Over the last 50 years I have seen access areas shrink and shrink.

FriscoGi

Back to top Go down

Frank

Post  buxtonbo on April 5th 2008, 2:16 pm

Laughing And you know what Frank, that's one of the many great things about the OBX and the people that live and visit there...there would always be someone that would offer you ride if you needed it. It's one of the friendliest places I've ever been...actually, it IS the friendliest place I've ever been.

buxtonbo

Back to top Go down

Clueless ewok!

Post  Frank Folb Jr on April 5th 2008, 2:00 pm

Doesn't know what he's talking about and feels the need to throw his worthless penny in.

I've walked over many of times growing up here. Skateboard to the lighthouse carriyng my surfboard, surf most of the day and skateboard home. But try carrying a cooler of bait, ice and drinks, 2 12' heavers at least 1 sandspike and a tackle box to Cape Point or Hatteras Inlet. I garauntee you will jump in the first orv that stops and offers a ride after the first 200 yards!!

Frank Folb Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

To ewok

Post  buxtonbo on April 5th 2008, 1:42 pm

Have you ever driven on the Outer Banks beaches before? You should try it, once you do I have a feeling your opinion would be different. Cool

buxtonbo

Back to top Go down

The Beach/Cars

Post  ewok on April 5th 2008, 1:39 pm

The beach is not a road. Less cars more wildlife!
You got 2 feet, use em!
afro

ewok

Back to top Go down

Well said lovie!!

Post  Frank Folb Jr on April 5th 2008, 9:53 am

And then others hide behind a computer name and ridicule with BS that has nothing to do with the issues.
My Grandmother was born in Kinnakeet, and I am proud of the Kinnakeet blood that flows through my veins!!

Well said Lovie!!

Frank Folb Jr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

...had a wife & couldn't keep 'er

Post  anamosit on April 4th 2008, 3:27 pm

KEN-A-KEET-ER ~ YAUPON EATER!!!

Smile

anamosit

Back to top Go down

you go lovie!!!!

Post  rcaton3 on April 3rd 2008, 3:57 pm

tell it like it is. you go lovie!!!!

rcaton3

Back to top Go down

a Native's Perspective

Post  Lovie Mi on April 3rd 2008, 10:17 am

My name is Lovie Midgett and I will be 87 years old in July. Growing up on Hatteras Island our beaches were once our lifeline. Not only did my family depend upon the ocean for our livlihood, we had to DRIVE on the beach to access the ferry: our only means of getting off of the island. I think it's now the most rediculous thing I've ever heard for the lives of birds and flowers to dominate the lives of our islands's people. I just hope rationality will overrule the irrationality of this lawsuit, and that my home of 87 years and more than 10 generations of my family will remain free and open for my grandchildren and great grandchildren to enjoy. Through the years, the federal government has already taken land from my family under the umbrella of "wildlife protection," but nobody seems to be concerned about protecting the lives of native islanders who can no more survive elsewhere than the birds can. Off-road driving is NOT unrestricted. Wildlife nesting areas are roped off, and driving has been restricted and limited in many areas. This is already a compromise. I just hope we will not have to compromise our economy and way of life for future generations to appease those who do not have homes, employment, history or heritage on our island.

Lovie Mi

Back to top Go down

Re: a Native's Perspective

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top